Stark Bro's Sale - (In case you wondered...)

Yep… although they are all doing well.

1 Like

My zestar is also ahead, but all are doing well.

1 Like

Sounds like zestar may deserve it’s own post in a couple of years! We got a few inches of rain so the few potted trees I have may be going to their new permanent home.

Yeah, time to set out potted grafts. Temps are supposed to get mid 90’s again.

Are you up early or late? I just got home from a 7 hr drive to deliver surgical packs to Sioux City hospital and will go to bed soon.

1 Like

Up late tonight. Just realized the time. Must have dozed off.

Hate that when it happens to me!!

Hard getting old.

1 Like

Just looked at the three trees I planted from stark and they are all looking good. The pristine must have 30 flower blossoms. I pinched them all off but was amazed to see every leaf node have blossoms. The Zestar and GR are growing well too.

2 Likes

I just got an email today saying Stark Bro’s were shipping potted trees now.

How much luck have people had with the potted trees from them, in mid-summer? Note that I’m reasonably close (5-6 h drive) from the greater St. Louis area where Stark is located.

I would really like an Intrepid peach, and it was sold out by the time I settled on that variety this spring.

Thanks for the info. I planted all my apples in pots until this fall. Price was a LOT better doing it that way than what they have now for potted trees. Just Sayin.

1 Like

Agreed on the cost effectiveness of bare root trees. I might do this for the one variety of peach since it sold out quickly in the winter. I can’t find another supplier of Intrepid.

Just an update on my StarkBro trees. Doing WELL!

5 Likes

Wow, Bob, those are looking good, they are growing like weeds. They look better than the trees I planted back in April. What is that monster in the front? Are those other potted trees the ones you got from Stark’s? And, are they going in the ground this fall or next spring? Have you had to water them every day with this heat we’ve been having?

The big one is an Empire and it really took off. Those are all StarkBro trees that were on sale. I don’t water them everyday but do water often. They will go in the ground in fall of this year.

Unsolicited advice: tie those 45-60 degree scaffold branches down now while they are still limber! You will be rewarded with a better structure, less cutting, and less chance of breakage in the future. Also though it is past the time for setting flower buds, the horizontal structure will encourage it next summer before the solstice.

3 Likes

Wanted to update as I had mentioned I would pot all my bare roots until fall. Today with the temps in the lower 50s I put 6 in the ground. 3 Idareds, 2 Snappy Macs, and 1 King of Tompkins County apple. Caged them too as the deer will rub them bare.

1 Like

2 Likes

Your trees do look very good, and the fact you got them for $10 is amazing. I stayed away from Starks because of the unknown rootstock thing. Do you think that will be a problem for you? Then again, $10 is a good enough price to possibly make it worth a try anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. There is a serial number list that shows the rootstock. I’ve use them for years and have had good luck.

Looks real good Bob. Are those trees in the background peaches? Those cages will keep the deer from rubbing on them, but are they tall enough to keep them from chewing on them? I had 3ft fences on mine, and some of them still got browsed on by the big varmits. Now all my trees have 4ft fencing around them. What are the rootstocks for the new trees? M7?

What are Idared’s like? I don’t think I’ve tasted one.

The tree right behind is a Stanley Prune. Rest for the most part apples. Peaches off to the right out of the picture. I don’t know how the idared taste, never had one. I’ve heard good however, locations and soil makes a difference. M106 the Idareds are on. Others are different. Here is a link you can use to compare your stickers too.

Yes deer will eat the leaves. I have over two acres or almost 150 trees as a hobby, so fencing them all in isn’t feasible as this is an out of control hobby. :grinning:

Red Delious if I remember were on 118.

1 Like