Steady trickle of exotic fruits in the stores

Its enormous and beautiful. And these are great pictures of your sister!

1 Like

I believe that this forum really needs another category for general fruit topics not pertaining to growing fruit that all members can participate in, unlike the lounge. Any comment in the growing fruit category should be about growing fruit, IMO and nothing could be more important in the organization of this forum than staying within the definition of topics.

A garden needs to be organized well for max productivity. So does a tool shed, and this forum is a kind of information tool shed.

She is my sister’s friend, not my sister :grin:

2 Likes

Clark,
You will be happy going there. May and June will be the main tropical fruit season but it is hot and humid. Maybe, it’d be like Kansas in the summer. You would feel like at home.

1 Like

@mamuang

Sounds really good! I might not come back after seeing those jack fruit!

2 Likes

Oops​:flushed::rofl:

1 Like

Eating one right now. This one almost has a floral/bubblegum flavor to it. Also a bit of a recent Cherimoya flavor I recently ate. Very good!

6 Likes

Seeds are edible too, just roast them lightly in a fire, peel of the husk and can be eaten like a snack.

2 Likes

I know there are growers of these things in South Florida, like MiamiFruit.org, but there would have to be larger growers, you’d think, for them to be showing up at the supermarket.

1 Like

They were 99 cents a lb at a local market here called SF Supermarket. This one weighed 14lbs and gave 5lbs of edible fruit. Definitely worth it.

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow got seeds in a bowl and will try that thanks!

2 Likes

I can’t cook or toss a seed that I don’t come in contact with often. Gotta grow it haha, I have 5-6 jackfruit seedlings from some jackfruit my wife got in NYC last year.

None of these durian seeds germinated as expected since it was frozen, and the mangosteen also but likely due to the importing sterilization process. It’s a problem I have, I see a seed, I plant it; unfortunately I don’t always label them. It hasn’t been a problem yet with identification, however the many dozens of Eugenia and psidium I need to keep well labeled because no shot I’ll be able to tell which is which until they fruit.

2 Likes

99 cents a lb is a dream. Here in MA, it is not cheap.
The easiest way of cooking seeds is boiling them like peanut. Add a little salt for taste ( like boiled peanuts, too).

I cannot tell you how long you need to boil them but you can taste a couple to see if they are cooked. The cooked jackfruit seeds will be similar to the taste and texture of boiled potatoes. I like eating them.

2 Likes

Have you every dehydrated Jackfruit? Also how much do they cost over there? We have so many very large Chinese grocery stores here i always go for Asian Pears and Lychees. They also have tons or different Papaya and Gauva but they’re very expensive. So is the Vietnamese green Pomelo those are $12.50 each.

1 Like

I want to like pomelo because I love citrus, by far my largest collection is citrus (Eugenia and psidium hot on its heels tho) I really want to grow some pomelo or grapefruit but I can’t see growing it when I really don’t like the flavor at all. Wish I had a store close by that had lychee routinely tho, every once in a while the stores here have pomelo, but they are not that expensive. I’ve bought several to try to like it haha

1 Like

:joy: that’s funny. I can’t stand grapefruit but love pomelos! Some are better than others. I tried a Thai one this year was very good. I’m guessing that Vietnamese Green is good too but I have a hard time forking out that kind of money for one fruit. Normally in the stores they’re about $5-$7 bucks. My friend has a yellow Vietnamese Pomelo tree that is about 8’ tall and gets like a hundred big pomelos he offered me a 2yo seedling but I don’t know where to grow it I have so many trees now.

1 Like

Maybe I will have to keep trying them. What is the best tasting cultivar to you?

Last season was the first time I tried a Pomelo when my friend sent me home with a few and raved about them.
I’m not sure even what the names are of the ones I’ve tried. My friends given me some and the farmers market sells the for $5 each. All yellow ones. The Thai one had a ruby flesh I think that was my favorite and I have a Thai friend that says they’re very popular there.

In case you don’t know. There is a trick to cutting them and it’s very easy. You cut the skin very deep through the pith in slices around the fruit. Cut off the top and bottom then peel all the pith away and you’ll have just the flesh.

2 Likes