Steady trickle of exotic fruits in the stores

Do you eat the seeds? We boil them. Add a little salt in the water makes them tastier. Some people roast them. I think they are a bit too dry when roasted.

2 Likes

@mamuang

Yes it is around 20 pounds! Yes im familiar with them. A friend from bangladesh told me to dry the seeds in the sun and cook them with chili peppers, shrimp, green peppers and onions.

Honestly, cooked jackfruit seeds’ taste and texture reminds me of potatoes. No wonder your friend suggested you use them as if they were tiny potatoes in dishes.

2 Likes

@mamuang

Very interesting he mostly prefers rice with beef or other meat sauce and heavy spice poured over the rice. His family has a jack fruit orchard. He was describing the way they prepare fish just now on the phone. They eat all parts of everything. The jack fruit rind goes to the cows he said and suggested i do the same. We were discussing eating goat as well. They have invited me to bangladesh many times to look at the different fruits they grow there. When he is in Kansas they come here to eat with me and when i was in Washington D.C. they took me out to eat there. He is a generous person who is a wealth of information on gardening and fruit growing methods his family uses to survive.

4 Likes

Ok, ok so mangos arent that exotic…
But here in Michigan Keitt mangoes are a rarity. In my dads collection of Manila, Haden and a couple of local strains, Keitt could become Huge, like 3-4 lbs. Tart and complex when not fully ripe, and very sugary, juicy and fiber free when fully ripe. Yum

4 Likes

@noogy

Looks delicious!

I throw them to the worms, they cause constipation and gas problem. I only eat the sweet fruit. Jack fruit is the only fruit I buy and eat.
I’m in California where other fruit are much cheaper and tastier so I don’t spend my money on exotic fruits except for the ones I grow at home.

1 Like

@clarkinks
My sister visited ger friend who has a large and productive jackfruit tree.

Just want to show you top quality jackfruit.

6 Likes

@mamuang

Those look delicious!

@clarkinks

Ripe jackfruit has deep yellow color flesh. Also flesh is thick and firm, almost crunchy but not quite. Sweet and aromatic, of course.

If I lived near that lady, I would ask for scionwood for sure.

5 Likes

Where is that?

1 Like

If you notice, jackfuit that sold in the US were often picked underripe for shipping and a longer shelf life.

My sister said this lady’s jackfruit tasted excellent.

2 Likes

Thailand, near Bangkok.

2 Likes

@mamuang

I love jackfruit and that looks wonderful!

1 Like

I love jackfruit, too.

Maybe, @murky can find good quality one when he is there.

1 Like

Taste is a funny thing. Its good to have a sense of humor about it.

I remember giving an american persimmon to an acquaintance once, he spit it out emphatically, saying it tasted to him like Elmer’s glue smells. It was perfectly ripe. It just didn’t appeal to him, I guess.

I kinda like durian myself, in measured quantities. To me, it tastes very much like sweet onions mixed with cream cheese. My first time eating it, I was expecting something much more “fruity” in the typical sense, and so I was sort of taken aback. I found the experience grew on me though. Ive only eaten it frozen, never fresh. We bought some durian hard candies at the nearest itl. grocer a while back. I can’t really deal with those much. Its real durian flavor at least, but theyre sort of like onion ring flavored Werther’s Original (caramels). A friend brought some durian flavored candied peanuts to work, and they were way over the top. I ate a few a couple of times and was burping up artificial durian flavor all day. It sort of tasted like sweet onions soaked in kerosene.

Jackfruit is tasty. I remember seeing them for the first time, hanging from the tree 30 ft or more up and thinking you wouldn’t want to be standing under one of those when they let go! Ive had fresh nicely ripened jackfruit- from the tree in question — and it is pretty yummy. To me it tastes like gummy bears or gummy worms, which are usually flavored with a mix of pear and pineapple juice, IME. The few bits of jackfruit Ive had here haven’t measured up to that first one.

2 Likes

I like durian, period.

My daughter sent me this pic when she was at Costco the other day.

I told her I only like fresh durians.

3 Likes

Great pictures with your sister and the jackfruit. Good times! That looks really good. I just eat the prepared jackfruit when I’m in Thailand. We’ve gotten some pretty good ones from Weee! that were grown in Mexico. The degree of ripeness varies.

Jackfruit has such a great, unique texture. It’s a shame when they are soft. I think the fancy resort hotel I sometimes stay at lets them freeze and it degrades the texture.

2 Likes

Murky,
That’s the pictures of the owner of the jackfruit tree, not my sister :grin:

Agree that jackfruit’s texture should be firm, not mushy or limpy. No frozen or canned for me. Pieces of jackfruit are mixed in ice cream is not uncommon in Thailand. It’s the same way people here make blueberry ice cream.

2 Likes

@mamuang

It is tempting to vacation in thailand.

2 Likes