Steady trickle of exotic fruits in the stores

Do you eat the seeds? We boil them. Add a little salt in the water makes them tastier. Some people roast them. I think they are a bit too dry when roasted.

2 Likes

@mamuang

Yes it is around 20 pounds! Yes im familiar with them. A friend from bangladesh told me to dry the seeds in the sun and cook them with chili peppers, shrimp, green peppers and onions.

Honestly, cooked jackfruit seeds’ taste and texture reminds me of potatoes. No wonder your friend suggested you use them as if they were tiny potatoes in dishes.

1 Like

@mamuang

Very interesting he mostly prefers rice with beef or other meat sauce and heavy spice poured over the rice. His family has a jack fruit orchard. He was describing the way they prepare fish just now on the phone. They eat all parts of everything. The jack fruit rind goes to the cows he said and suggested i do the same. We were discussing eating goat as well. They have invited me to bangladesh many times to look at the different fruits they grow there. When he is in Kansas they come here to eat with me and when i was in Washington D.C. they took me out to eat there. He is a generous person who is a wealth of information on gardening and fruit growing methods his family uses to survive.

3 Likes

Ok, ok so mangos arent that exotic…
But here in Michigan Keitt mangoes are a rarity. In my dads collection of Manila, Haden and a couple of local strains, Keitt could become Huge, like 3-4 lbs. Tart and complex when not fully ripe, and very sugary, juicy and fiber free when fully ripe. Yum

2 Likes

@noogy

Looks delicious!

I throw them to the worms, they cause constipation and gas problem. I only eat the sweet fruit. Jack fruit is the only fruit I buy and eat.
I’m in California where other fruit are much cheaper and tastier so I don’t spend my money on exotic fruits except for the ones I grow at home.

1 Like