Stephen Hayes - Legendary Orchardist

If there was ever a time for him to come back to you tube and put out an hour long walk through the orchard video, this is it, lets start a bring back Mr. Hayes movement. :slight_smile:

#kiddingā€¦#notkidding

5 Likes

I was thinking about him today as I cut scion off a squirrel girdled Pitmaston Pineapple. I think Iā€™m going to top work a sweet bough that hadnā€™t made anything exceptional yet.

I remember him saying they did not sell the apples off their P.P. tree, they kept them ALL. :smile:

Loved his grafting vids too. Watched them a lot while on bed rest in early 2014.

7 Likes

Great video, thanks! So peaceful to see a well pruned orchard, just what we need now.

Interesting to see him make several heading cuts on that first tree in one inch diameter branches. And heading back to fruit spurs is new to me.

Summer pruning: A warning to growers in fireblight territory: contrary to what Stephen said, I avoid all pruning cuts in summer unless temperature is 90 degrees or above, when blight is inactive (also inactive in winter). Iā€™m guessing fireblight does not exist in England.

1 Like

Anyone have recent updates on Stephen Hayes? We all hope he is doing well! He accomplished growing a great orchard and got his book out. He inspired so many people to graft and learn about unusual fruit trees.

4 Likes

He occasionally responds to posts on NAFEX Facebook page. Most of their fruit goes to a cider producer and heā€™s concentrating on his medical career, he specializes in skin cancer.

6 Likes

Maybe I should email him itā€™s been awhile since I talked to him. Let him know we are thinking of him.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve watched so many of his videos that I often find myself using his common phrases with colleagues. Iā€™ve warned enough people at work that the biggest mistake they could make is to not plant an apple tree. Some of them have now done so.

3 Likes

Heā€™s a very fortunate gentleman to have experienced so much. He caught his experiences on camera and passed them on to us. In a 100 years we will look like the people in silent films look to us but they will remember Stephen as one of the greatest orchardist. We are all very blessed to have so much knowledge available to us. We owe much of our good fortune to people like Stephen who let us prosper by learning from his mistakes.

3 Likes

He has a new video going live in 4 hours.

Orchard walk June 2021 leopard moth damage - YouTube

2 Likes

Stephen did contact me yesterday and let me know heā€™s not using the old molecatcher address much anymore. May have been like most of us the email address get spammy after a short time. I had let him know we are all wishing him well.

6 Likes

When was the last time anyone was in contact with Stephen Hayes? It has been 2021 since i last contacted him. Many of us learned at least one technique from him through the years. Think i watched every video he made at one point. Iā€™m glad he was able to.publish his book. His lifetime accomplishments are impressive.

5 Likes

Mr Hayes boosted my excitement for growing heirloom fruit years ago when I didnā€™t know better. Am still glad for the experience gained from all those tried & found wanting. British heirlooms doing pretty well: Lamb Abbey & Claygate. One from Europe awaiting debut fruit, OrlĆ©ans Reinette. From these shores: Maiden Blush, Twenty Ounce, Shackleford are all nearly old enough to begin fruiting.

4 Likes

He posted this video about a year ago

Was tempted to recommend he install an electric fence for the badgers. I mind my own business when it comes to affairs of that sort across the pond since their rules and laws are not mine. Iā€™m an outsider there so i donā€™t know how they would view me shocking their badgers. You all know what i would do if they were my badgers.

@NuttingBumpus

Yes the varities he discussed and his pleasant approach is a pleasure to watch .

1 Like

The very first video of his that I ever stumbled upon years ago was one about hazelnuts grown as shrubs. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the Hayes video. Interesting that Kiddā€™s Orange Red seems to be frost tolerant. Only a few apples I know of can do that, including Rosemary Russet. Sadly, for my lot, russets cannot produce edible fruit in the increasingly hot & dry conditions weā€™ve encountered just since I started grafting russets.

In recent years weā€™ve had two surprise early killer frosts in October, but last frosts have been in April rather than May.

1 Like

Wish Stephen was still out there posting videos, loved his content. @Luisport should know the guy didnā€™t like Beauty of bath. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi. But i liked itā€¦ :grin:

1 Like