Stevia

Anyone else grow stevia? I did for the first time this past season and was surprised at how easy and well it grew. We did have an unusually long very warm summer. I got seed from Fedco and though it was real slow to start and plants small when put in the garden (I started them early in the greenhouse) they did great. I was a bit surprised based on what I’d read. They are much hardier than I thought. Many articles compare growing stevia to growing basil but here basil gives up at the first mention of even a light frost while my three stevia plants were still hale, hearty and growing after 27 degree (and many not quite so cold) frosts. I dug and potted one of the plants to overwinter in the greenhouse and brought it in before temps got into the teens which did finish off the two remaining garden plants. They’re well mulched so it will be interesting to see if they make it through winter. I’m planning to start seed again anyway.

I was surprised at the harvest, ending up with about 3 cups of finely ground dried leaf, after harvesting quite a bit fresh. There is no getting around that it is GREEN, which is a bit disconcerting using it on oatmeal or such. But so is nibbling the fresh leaves, eating a green leaf and having it taste so very, very sweet. I don’t consider it a substitute for sugar, it’s just another option and we like it. You don’t want to overdo it though, it is a strong flavor. Goes nice with cinnamon. I’ve used in in tomatoes, grapejuice, apple/pear sauce, oatmeal, and dishes that need a little sweet without a sugar flavor. It’s a bit of a challenge figuring out how much to use (easy does it for sure) but I’m getting more used to it and will grow it again. Hopefully it will grow even when we have a more ‘normal’ cooler summer.

Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo of the summer plants - they’re really quite nice. But here is the one, well pruned, in the greenhouse. Though I cut through a lot of roots to put it in the pot it didn’t wilt or yellow or anything. It even grew some more. It’s winding down now though so I need to ease back on watering and let it have its winter rest, especially since the greenhouse is often close to freezing now. Sue

Stevia-greenhouse-gf

Stevia-ground-gf

6 Likes

A surprising percentage of the U.S. population is predisposed to develop organ ailments from long-term usage of Stevia. You might want to check with a doctor to see if you are in that group.

1 Like

Nice healthy plant. I grew stevia in a pot for many years. It is very easy to grow and easy to root the cuttings too if you want more plants. Can be harvested several times a year, at least twice for me ,when it grow too tall, I just cut it short once or twice. It will grow back and has small white flowerS in the fall . I have no use of this plant, don’t want to kill it either so I kept it year after year. I originally grow it as sugar substitute, thought it would be great idea to have sweet flavor with no calories.However I found besides the sweet flavor, it tasted metallic which I don’t like, also some mix of grass tastes.
If consume too much, you might be photosensitizer, cause skin burn under the sun.l

1 Like

I occasionally use a little stevia in my coffee. For my taste more is not better. A small amount taste a little sweet but increasing the amount has a taste I don’t care for. Looks like a fun plant to grow at home.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Sue. I’ve almost picked up the starts before at the yearly sales. I do love Zevia cola as I pretty much quit coffee due to stomach issues and black tea only gets old. I do want to bake more with it and decrease sugar in dessert recipes. Do you bake with the refined powder at all?

2 Likes

Hi Carole, I don’t do much baking except for bread and my rough & ready not very sweet “homestead cookies” so don’t have experience with stevia that way. I would guess it might be better as just part replacement than all due to the flavor and how it might affect the texture. But it’s worth experimenting! Sue

I grew stevia one year ironically to me it has an artificial sweetener type taste that I don’t like.

I also think Stevia has an artificial sweeter taste, but I have a few items with a rich taste where I can mix it with sugar and it is okay.

1 Like

Some people soak the leaves in hot water and it adds a sweetness that way, I have never tried growing it, yet I don’t like the manufactured Stevia powder