Stone Fruit Rant

I have plums on Myro with mixed results. I can’t make any grand determinations about Myro.

A lot of reputable nurseries put their plums on Myro so that must mean something.

Cots don’t like Citation at my location. I have a new cot on Manchurian which seems happier.

Plums and peaches on Citation seem to do fine here.

In my nursery, all my plums are on myro- what do you mean mixed results? Here its only particular liability (and asset) is that it produces a vigorous tree. J. plums fruit young no matter what, but this can mean a pretty long wait for E. plums. It is also not so good for limited space.

Other factors like maybe citation does better root bound, and Lovell might do better in a larger container. In your situation citation is working. It’'s strange here as I have a peach on either side of a pluot tree, all on citation. The peaches are oozing, and look to have canker not borers, but the pluot citation looks great! Hey my Flavor Supreme has over 40 fruits! Yes! I know I can’t get the brix, but it is what it is here. They are still good and better than anything I can buy. I had one bite of a Flavor Supreme last year. My only taste so far! A fruit was on the tree, just one, and I didn’t see it till it was on the ground half rotted. One side was good, so I went for it! Very good! I should be able to get more of a taste this year! A great year here!

1 Like

Just a question: I understand stone fruits can be a PITA, but I purchased them knowing it would be an uphill battle in my climate. Is there anyone who follows a commercial (or close to commercial, allowing for the fact that the homeowner can’t always purchase professional grade products) who is still getting terrible results and hardly any usable fruit?

That’s what concerns me too. All of my initial trees on Citation took off very fast. The last two plantings, not so much. I found one crown gall on my Flavor King, my favoritest fruit :frowning:

I’m not sure if I totally understand, but I think anyone who follows commercial spray is going to have some nice fruit.

2 Likes

My aprium has aphids, but not the nectaplum. No, it’s just got full-on PLC. And powdery mildew. Newer growth doesn’t seem to have it, but the powdery mildew is already on the fruit…so I’m pretty much screwed.

Sorry if I was confusing. I guess what I was trying to say is that there are a lot of people with bad feelings about growing stone fruit. But I wanted to know if that was because it was literally impossible to get good fruit even with a diligent spray program? Or was that because people were trying to grow stone fruit in a no-spray/minimal spray program and were unsuccessful.

I think the response you gave pretty much answered my question. Sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

I agree. I believe if you want to grow fruit in our type climate, a good spray program is a must. You may get by a few years with less but as diseases build up in your orchard, your left with no choice. In my opinion

2 Likes

I need a spray program, but the consumer products work, all I’m doing. I got over 65 fruits off of each tree last year, flawless too. This year is even better, with the plums fruiting for the first time, loaded too. It’s tough but certainly can be done.
Indian free peach. with extra fuzz!

7 Likes

My Nectaplum gets some PLC,even though I spray a few times before the leaf buds break out and the tree is under some tall Douglas Fir.
What got my attention in your post was the comment about some of the new Plums getting leaf curl.Usually that affects the Peach types,if that’s what yours has.
Some of the Plums I have were infected by Curly Leaf Plum Aphids,the past couple of years.
The trees were sprayed heavily with soap and oil,before flowering this year and it must have killed their eggs.No Aphids can be seen. Brady

1 Like

I had a Myro get Black Knot. It also had some kind of gummosis or oozing problem. It died abruptly during a summer dry spell.

The other Myros are growing okay. No fruit yet.

In the mountain clay soil, the trees on Marianna seem a bit happier.

No scientific study here. Just a short recap of my anecdotal experiences.

1 Like

Has anyone tried spraying whey to prevent fungal disease? I watched this video and have renewed hope!
Stefan Sobkowiak at Miracle Farms uses whey as a foliar feed - Google Search