Stone fruit types

It’s a legend, Howard Miracle has no Euro plum in it, the “green” parent likely was a yellow-greenish colored Asian plum.

Z@stan,

That’s what I thought, too. I just grafted it on J plum yesterday. It’s good to know that I did not have to move the graft :grin:

Yes, some say it’s the best! :slight_smile:
Well if it did, i would not add it. I have yet to find a euro plum I like that much, OK, but not for me.
I have not tasted all of them.

I have made some great jelly with it. I found laying a big tarp on the ground to catch the cherries works great. I use my swimming pool pole and tape a hook on the end to shake the branches with. Then I play around with a leaf blower a bit to remove debris and hand pick out the other stuff. Then pour it into a five gallon bucket. It still is a bit of work but you can get a bucket in a couple hours. I only do this with bumper crops that get ripe at the same time.

How to create a database that useful to the home and small orchard growers is something I have given thought to. It is why I spun up my own personal copy of GRIN. My research left me with the conclusion the hardest part of this endeavor is coming up with a set of useful descriptors.

You may already be familiar with the USDA descriptors GRIN uses.

This is a link to the European Cooperative Program for Plant Genetics Resources ECPGR: Fruit

The prunus descriptors where all adopted back in the 1980’s

Since then Malus/Pyrus has been revisited several times since 2012 to revise the standard. Prunus began revising in 2011

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232221399_ECPGR_Working_Group_on_Malus_Pyrus_genetic_resource_a_unique_opportunity_for_European_collaborations

I had but I can not locate at the moment the new proposed descriptors. I think its great to keep up with standards but at the same time I dont think most would not match up with what your proposing. Which bring me back to my original question what descriptors do people really want?

Meader Bush Cherries — Prunus japonica X Prunus jacquemontii (Joy, Jan, Joel)

Developed by E.M. Meader of the University of New Hampshire, these three cultivars produce a firm-fleshed, tart cherry on a 4 foot bush. The fruit ripens in August, thereby avoiding heavy bird pressure. About as hardy as Nanking cherry, (minus 30 F,) although snow cover may afford additional protection. Loaded with fruit in the late summer and with flashy red autumn color, it makes a striking landscape plant. For a hedge, plant 3-4 feet apart. Joy and Joel are self-fertile; Jan requires one of the other two for pollination.

The GRIN descriptors aren’t centered around the horticultural aspects of the fruits from the point of view of an enthusiastic fruit grower that it is practically useless for people that would want to grow the fruits. They wanted to play it safe that it is so boring and not particularly interesting description like describing a dead body. I’d rather have the fruit description of our biased member than from them!

I hope the GRIN database would exert more effort as to what properties we would want to know.

I picked up some scions at the CRFG event in Santa Rosa,earlier this year,that were labeled European Plumcot.That’s one that’s new to me.
One was sent to Bob Vance,possibly.Brady

1 Like

Always found serotina to be an interesting species. It’s not really a “cherry” or a “plum” genetically from my understanding, I believe it’s more distant within the genus.

BTW thanks for doing that! Every scion I grafted from you took. Really nice quality wood.

1 Like

Were those from 2018 or this year?bb

This year, not what you mentioned in this thread but other stuff. I saw the post and just wanted to thank you. This year I was going to redo a scaffold and when I cut into, it was dying and no good. I could not graft all I got, no room. I was counting on that tree, and it’s not doing well. I lost one last year with a bunch of grafts too. Oh well. I replaced it this year, I should be able to graft on it next year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have any you could trade? I’d love to see if it handles our late frosts better than whatever was in my front yard when I moved in. Zone 6/7 depending on who calculated it. But with late frosts in mid april and mid may.

Not this time around. I could start rooting cuttings in july. But you probably live in the US, don’t you? I’m living in europe, which would mean we cannot exchange living plants or cuttings.

That said I do not believe the flowers of Biricoccolo are more frost hardy than those of myrobalane. The last 2 years I only had single fruits from my trees because of late frosts. This year its looking very promising though. The trees are in full bloom and the forecast doesn’t show freezes for the next 2 weeks.

Yes … i am in the usa.

But I’m at almost 2000m elevation. Im going to follow advice of another European member and see if i can’t track down some Ladakhi seed.

The purple/black apricot would be a novelty - and some one has to have it here in the usa somewhere.