Stop It Now

For the last two years I have tried to cut back on adding new scions but people keep sending them to me. I’m a hopeless addict. Might need to see Dr Phil. Just kidding I’m sure I can squeeze a few more on those overcrowded limbs. If I had more space I’m pretty sure my head would explode thinking about all the options for grafting. Today I started the long and important process of adding permanent labels.

18 Likes

These are very nice labels​:+1::+1:. You are not alone in addicted to graft more scions to the trees. I have been telling myself that I I’m going to take a break this year, only graft few Pluot’s that Ahmad sent to me. However I just counted totally varieties I am on hand so far, 12 new peaches/nectarines, 14 plum/ pluots, 3 apricots, 5 cherries, 3 pears, 2 crabapples, and 2 quince. If 50% taking rate I need to graft each variety on two branches, so I will need total of 41x2=82 branches to graft. By the time I am done grafting, my trees are all going to look like just went through a war with bandage all over their head, well, top of banches in this case​:scream_cat::scream_cat:

5 Likes

Well, at least you’re not buying more trees. Or are you, Bill? I’ve been a good boy this year, I only bought one run of 25 new strawberry plants through our local ag office, they’re due in next week. But no new trees. Yet.

What is that script on your tags, is it some modern day hieroglyphics?

No I’m not still buying trees except for my one OH My seedless muscadine. I have a few backups planted together but I don’t see needing them.

My labels are diy and don’t look very professional but they are sturdy and should last a long time. Heavy aluminum window blinds, 17ga. electric fence wire, and a cheap engraver to hand write the varieties.

2 Likes

They look durable, I’ll have to keep those in mind whenever I start my real grafting phase.

I said I haven’t bought any new trees, but I actually have three apples that I bench grafted last year and will have to find a place for them, they’ve been in pots for a year now.

I also did three more in March, and am waiting to see if they’re going to make it. A couple of them seem to be growing their new buds alright, but the third is struggling. It has two withered sprouts but one last one looks like it’s trying to pick up the slack so we’ll see.

1 Like

Bill,
You are an artist. Your tags look like pretty necklaces. Your trees would be happy wearing them esp. the female ones :smile:

Almost all my fruit trees have multiple grafts. I have to say, they are getting messy. That’s because a lot of times I just “parked” scionwood on them without a good long term plan.

I thought I was done, too. I really don’t know how 20+ scionwood showed up in my fridge. ( they’re more like 30+, yikes)

2 Likes

Blockquote You are an artist. Your tags look like pretty necklaces. Your trees would be happy wearing them esp. the female ones :smile:
Blockquote

Now now! The all male flowers of any tree would like heavy metal dogtags to attract the ladybugs!

2 Likes