Stopping squirrels, any ideas on special bags?

Stopping squirrels, any ideas on special bags?

I have trapped and shot so many squirrels every year. I believe thay are winning.

Any ideas of a sort of bag I can cover some of my hazel nuts and walnuts and swt chesnuts.
I have tried fabric bags, but they just get ripped apart.

Is there any really tough fabric or flexible metal bags on the market, or of something I can make up into bags.

3 Likes

https://growingfruit.org/t/tree-cages/

1 Like

Perhaps falconry?

1 Like

I’m doing pretty good so far with a bunch of shinny bird scares coupled with this hawk kite.
I put them up for the birds but since I still have apples on my trees it may be affecting the squirrels too. Last year the squirrels robbed me blind.

1 Like

Or do a search on Squirrel and there is plenty of information.
Doubtful that bags will work. Aggressive birds can even damage bags.

1 Like

I have not tried these… just found them on Amazon. Read the reviews… i read a few and they are saying it worked well on squirrels… but not so good on rats. They are on the expensive side… as you would expext for wire mesh bags.

Good Luck

2 Likes

Mesh bag slow them down. So, if they truly prize your fruits, then the bag is not going to save you. The squirrels has teeth so the bag may help.and even if it does, the fruit can still be damage and the branch can be damage too from them trying to get to the fruits.The string or the zip tie to secure the bag can be damaged too and then they can use their little hand to open the bag. Hopefully, they go after your neighbor unprotected fruits instead because it’s easier and less annoying.

2 Likes