Strategies & ideas for collecting fig varieties

I would never take part in buying figs for an expensive price unless it was a certain fundraiser that I know of where the money collected all goes to St Jude’s charity hospital.

I would also never buy one of the new fig fads, most likely I’d not even barter for any of them, because no matter how the figs were where they were found they could be way less impressive in another climate, not just the fruit the trees them selves might not like climate, also a lot of people disagree on what the best fig fruit would be like, what one person thinks is the best fig fruit in the world, other people think the fruit is mediocre or not good at all. To go spend a lot of money on a fig variety, and then be desperate to get rid of it must not be fun, I know the feeling without paying lots of money is very unpleasant. Some people don’t mind the experience of going through all that, that kind of person will get the vareties out there for us, and in time they become very affordable as cuttings. Also if you wait long enough you can find out if they are rain and moisture resistant, if they are cold hardy and so on, before even trying to get them. So far my favorite fig varieties never became new fads.

3 Likes

Smiths works in the south I would try Malta Black or Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley. I would get a good Bordeaux fig like negronne or VdB. I will always grow those mentioned. Great figs!
I’m trying out a ton of figs. I’m trying Fort Mill Dark and it is a Bordeaux fig. It looks to be a winner. More intense flavor and it doesn’t split with heavy rains. I still need more time to see if it’s consistent. I have about ten wild figs recently found. I grow out seedlings for fun. Nothing special so far. That’s fine I enjoy a mystery good or bad. The best fig I ever tried was col de dama Grise. Super late ripening but to me better than Black Madeira. Any CdD fig is great. Col. Littmann’s Black Cross is unique tasting and it not late. From the south. I could go on and on.

7 Likes

The variety Dominick I grow myself in North Carolina, it’s fruit is a lot like ‘Petite Aubique’ and a lot like ‘Violet de Bordeaux’. It’s more cold hardy than those two varieties, yet where you live that should not matter.
A fig friend of mine who lives in North Carolina has grown the real ‘Sultane’ in the ground, and it’s his favorite in his climate.

‘Ginos Black’ has been praised by some people to be the best ‘Violet de Bordeaux’ like fig for the south.

One of my very favorite fig varieties in my climate is ‘Unknown Carini (the variety from Figgy Frank)’, there is more than one variety called ‘Unknown Carini’. have you tried any of them @Drew51?

2 Likes

After tasting a lot of fig varieties, I’ve realized that you only need about 4-5 top performers, maybe 12 if you are REALLY picky about flavor nuances. I am very picky but I really can’t tell the difference between several top tier varieties in a blind taste test. Plus most of them produce very little in my short summer climate. But they grow and grow in our mild winter/rain.

The incremental utility of adding a new fig tree after the 10th one is extremely small. I’d rather grow an entirely different kind of fruit. Blueberries are becoming very close to my favorites now. And they do extremely well in my naturally acidic soil. Persimmons are another big winner in my location. So much flavor, especially at that time of year when there is almost nothing else other than apples.

Also experimenting with early feijoa varieties and loquats. Not to mention kiwis and pawpaws. And mulberries. And stone fruit. And apples of course. Happy to have a variety of fruit rather than just grow figs.

14 Likes

Yes figs are not my favorite. Right now I have blueberries, plums, pluots, and peaches. The stone fruit is perfect here this year. Potatoes are ready for me right now. The garlic is huge this year. An excellent year. My tomatoes are awesome and super productive. My green chili’s are ready for harvest too. Back to figs the crop is huge. At least a few hundred. I’ll be snacking on them all winter. And my dehydrator will be constantly on.

2 Likes

I have not tried any of those. I do have a young sultane . No figs yet. Fort Mil Dark was discovered growing in Fort Mill SC

I have seen the name ‘Fort Mill Dark’ before, yet I never researched it or got it.

I just discovered that there is also one called ’ UNK Fort Mill Park’, sounds very good,

I have that one too.

What do you think about ’UNK Fort Mill Park’? Dragos also rescued a variety he called ‘Greek Isles’. It’s supposed to be very good in the south.

Yes… I am excited about using those I have for proppagating airlayers for trading opportunities of other types suitable for z6!!

I’m in search of a few myself one in particular if any of you have it please let me know, I’m looking for WM#1 Thanks

To me, ripe figs are luxury to have. Personally I’m not sure if the subtle difference of tastes of different varieties are worth chasing. It is just me. Some people like to show off some of their figs, everyday on FB and on other sites. I normally just ignore them.

Growing fig needs much more care and work. It is easy to get hold of 100 fig trees. But keeping them alive and get fruits are different stories.

I like low maintenance work. So I like to get the very hardy varieties and keep them in ground. I do not need heavy harvest. I’ll be happy to get some fruits from each tree I grow.

7 Likes

Keep in mind that there is a lot of money involved and as some varieties become very common, no one would be willing to pay premium price for them. For that reason, you will come across many that aren’t necessarily any different than the common ones, but with enough hype and propaganda, some folks will pay premium in a hope to get few times their money back in the next few years. The actual value of the variety isn’t necessarily relevant.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m not sure some of the varieties are even genuine.

I could claim a variety that I had smuggled from Syria, give it a fancy name and claim the taste is superb. No one else has it. Then I sell 200 of those, each $250. Then that is $50,000 sale. Is this how it works? lol.

3 Likes

I have many premium figs but have no desire to sell them. If you want to grow plants and make money grow pot. You can get about 2K in smoke off of each plant. If I wanted to make money with plants that’s what I would do. Much easier than propagating figs which can be time consuming and difficult. Plus No fig goes for 2K a plant. It is legal here with the proper permits. Currently the law has many loopholes I suspect that will change. Although I myself have no interest in doing this either. If I was looking to make money it would not be with my figs.

3 Likes

True to some extent.

Some people are retired and are good at growing things. This may be still the way for some people to enjoy the hobby and get some income.

Even $3,000/month is still a good income to most people. As a hobby or side job.

But I gave away all of my spare plants. Not even worth to sell them at $15 a plant. From digging, cleaning, wrapping, mailing etc. Then you pay all fees etc.

It all depends on each person’s situation.

2 Likes

I agree chingchongly. Many figs are rediculously expensive, and should not be. I like your idea of locally trading. I am blessed being in CA by having local CRFG members to trade with.

Many fig collectors are very generous, and most collect more than just figs and are happy to trade for other kinds of cuttings. At one time, I had a collection of over 25 varieties, but never purchased any of them. The majority were premium figs, raved about all over figs4funforum and later at ourfigs.

Wait until the dormant season and barter for cuttings. There are lots in the fall and winter available. If you decide to buy your cuttings, Harvey Corriea, from CRFG in Northern California has a huge selection of dormant cuttings available every January to February at his figaholics website. He goes by HarveyC at ourfigs and his prices are much cheaper than most sellers on ebay. Many cuttings are in the $8-$20 range, but there are plenty that are less than that and a few are that are more. He is highly regarded in the fig community.

Eventually I realized many figs were very similar and stopped collecting anymore. I didn’t have the inground space for so many, and pots go through too much water to keep happy long term. Most of my figs have new homes now, all except Strawberry Verte, VdB, and Unk Pastilliere. And like others have mentioned, fig quality is regional. Trade with folks close to you or from similar climates.

Some of the common ones are great figs. Peters Honey and Violette de Bourdeaux are very good and easy to come by from retail nurseries. They are common for a reason.

6 Likes

It’s not worth buying if u can’t grow in ur own zone unless u have a greenhouse that u can run serious heat during the winter months. Some of these figs are so hyped up but when I got them, they’re not that great in my zone.

1 Like

Well, that is what some people do. Some eventually erect a greenhouse. And some even open fig farm or nursery and be full time.

2 Likes

These expensive cuttings will probably be cheap soon enough. Wait until somebody starts micropropagating them. If the demand holds, somebody will mass produce them.