Strawberry x Raspberry hybrid

Thank you Oscar
I have read if you pick some berries under ripe
they actually have a better flavor because of more acid
Indian Strawberry being one of them (formally Pontentilla mock now Duchesnea indica)

If a large quantity I’d try mixing with water (or boil) ,
and adding sugar hopefully that would bring out the flavor worth a try

1 Like

This is baloon berry… not a cross between strawberryxraspberry…

2 Likes

OH I see the latin name on the article was reading doing something else at the time
they shouldn’t have said at the beginning a hybrid
(reading down the latin name in that case would of had a X in it,)

A berry sounds interesting to cross, but
Since apple has been crossed with rowen ,and so has pear,
and others I think quince would be interesting with rowen (or back crossed once it was.)
would like to have that site I asked of so I can see the chomosomes of random species ?

where did you guys find your info on it ?
(it’s been years for me, and need to dig up the web sites in my notes )

1 Like

I probably should have posted this here instead of the other thread…

Sourcing a tetraploid Rubus idaeus isn’t easy though.

1 Like

Being as tetraploid raspberries are so hard to come by (using a tetraploid would greatly increase the likelihood of success due to the progeny inheriting two sets of raspberry chromosomes which could pair with each other), why isn’t anyone trying to use any of the much more readily available tetraploid blackberries for hybridizing with Fragaria ? Sure it’s a different cross, but still the same general idea (i.e. Fragaria x Rubus ).

On a related note, the USDA lists that they have seeds available from an open pollinated tetraploid red raspberry parent. Unfortunately the actual tetraploid clone is not available, but if any of those seeds were the result of self pollination then some seedlings should end up also being tetraploid. I’ve requested these seeds so hopefully they’ll send them and then hopefully they’ll produce something worthwhile. It’s a long shot, but worth trying.

2 Likes

Many selfed seedlings may be identical clones of the parent if it’s a primary auto-tetraploid. When the identical duplicated chromosomes pair and recombine during meiosis, nothing changes.

A real black strawberry would be pretty novel.

3 Likes

If I were to breed Prime Ark Freedom to a strawberry, which would be the better seed parent? Strawberries are easier to start from seed for me, but with the small seed size, I wonder how they would handle the chromosomes from a blackberry, even at the same ploidy level.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I feel like it would be worth crossing both ways just in case it only works in one direction. There are many documented examples of hybrids only working in one direction, but trial and error is how we find out.

3 Likes

Afaik in raspberry x blackberry crosses they use raspberry as the mother and blackberry as the pollinator.

2 Likes

But as a rule the higher ploidy parent tends to give a better seedset.

2 Likes

@Caesar I just got cuttings for two tetraploid strawberries:

• Fragaria tibetica (naturally tetraploid species). This species typically produces separate male & female plants, but I was able to get a clone that has hermaphroditic flowers.

• The artificially induced tetraploid form of Fragaria vesca cv. ‘Mignonette’.

I also got a total of 5 seeds from a tetraploid raspberry via the USDA. Their website lists that they distribute this in seed batches of 25, so they must be running really low. Hopefully something germinates. I’ve had decent germination from raspberry seeds in the past so fingers crossed these will produce at least one seedling.

Once I get these all stabilized I’ll scale up quantities so I can hopefully have something to share if you want any of them @Caesar .

6 Likes

I looked at the description and photos in the link provided by Dimitri. It is curious that peptide protein analysis was used instead of a chromosome count and PCR test of standard Fragaria and Rubus markers. The cost would have been the same and far more definitive.

I looked in Google Scholar for possible articles about this plant, but found none. Instead there was this interesting 1917 Kew article concerning a purported cross, but the fruit description does not match those pictured above:

2 Likes

Congrats, those are not easy to come by! I’d be intimidated to try and scarify those raspberry seeds so good luck too!

I also got lucky and found a hybrid clone of garden strawberry and fragaria vesca, where they probably used a tetraploid f. vesca. Rooting now.

I have f. viridis and f. mosca growing next to each other so I can try crossing them next year to get an 4x strawberry. I have tetraploid raspberries but nothing very useful so far. (poor performance, no winter hardiness) I’m trying to cross them with blackberries to see if that works.

3 Likes

What is the name of this plant?

1 Like

The variety is called Sara.

1 Like

I wrote garden raspberry when I of course meant garden strawberry. I’m not pursuing a strawberry-raspberry hybrid :wink: editing the post

1 Like

According to wikipedia this is a decaploid (10x) plant which I can’t really understand. Something funky has had to have happened in order for this hybrid to work.

1 Like

Decaploid implies something similar to making a tomato/potato hybrid via somatic fusion.

1 Like

I’m glad you clarified. I got Fragaria ×vescana ‘Sara’ as well.

Its pedigree follows:
([(Fragaria ×ananassa ‘Valentine’) x F vesca 4X)] x open pollination) x ([(F. ×ananassa ‘Sparkle’) x F. vesca 4X] x open pollination).

Since its known predecessors (minus the open pollination part) are all either 2n=8x or 2n=4x what probably happened was the 8x was left unreduced in the meiosis step while the 4x was reduced as usual to 2x resulting in the combined total of 2n=10x.

3 Likes
  1. Tetraploidisation of 2x F. vesca by means of colchicine;
  2. By crossing 8x F. × ananassa cultivars with 4x F. vesca, hexaploid seedlings were obtained, some of which were slightly fertile;
  3. Backcrossing of 6x hybrids with F. × nanassa cultivars gave seedlings with different chromosome numbers. Only a small percentage of fertile decaploids were obtained, originating from unreduced gametes of the hexaploid uniting with four gametes of F. × ananassa. Bauer named these hybrids Fragaria × vescana, which combine two F. vesca gametes with eight of F × ananassa (Bauer and Weber, 1989).
5 Likes