Strawberry x Raspberry hybrid

I got my Tetraploid Mignonette yesterday, I intend to give it tender love and care and multiply it as much as possible. I also successfully requested several tetraploid Rubus (including primocane-bearers) for the experiment. Meanwhile my diploid vescas are starting to put on size, as are the Silverweed. There’s a lot to unpack here, and a lot of ways these experiments can go.

2 Likes

The tetraploid Mignonette has been flowering for a while, but no fruit set. ¿Is it ordinarily unfruitful or is it just the current heat dome? ¿Or maybe the relatively recent transplantation?

2 Likes

The tetraploid ‘Mignonette’ I got from the USDA last year produced some fruit this year, but mine was a cutting whereas yours were from seed right? Hard to say if the lack of fruiting is due to climate differences or fertility issues among the seedlings.

1 Like

I’ve kept the seeds in cold storage, and managed to acquire the same cutting-grown clone as yours.

Should I already be crossbreeding? It’s still flowering, and at the same ploidy level I have PAF flowering almost perpetually.

4 Likes

No harm in attempting to make some crosses.

3 Likes