Stromboli first red flesh apricot

Hi guys.
I present you , the world’s first variety of red flesh apricot.

The breeder is Spanish PSB Produccion Vegetal
The apricot variety is called:

• Stromboli

These are its characteristics:

Normally the red skin apricots varieties , tend to be acidic, but this apricot is very sweet and aromatic and very low acidity

I have purchased 2 trees of this variety.

I show you some photographs of this apricot

Regards
Jose

19 Likes

Very cool! Hopefully it’ll be available in the US some day too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow!

They look like plums. And a great name as well…

Not much info beyond your two links… Like chill requirement and curl resistance…

2 Likes

Hi Phil, Stromboli is a beautiful apricot.
The apricot does not suffer of leaf curl like peaches or nectarines, it does not usually have problems with the Taphina Deformans fungus.
Regarding chilling hours, it needs very few since it is a variety grown in Murcia (less than 500 hours).

I am also going to request 2 trees of the red flesh nectarine variety:

• Diablotina

She is very pretty and good

This is the Diablotina nectarine:

https://psbproduccionvegetal.com/productos/nectarina-diablotina/

A photo and a video

ECpY0DwWkAA3g2R

Regards
Jose

4 Likes

Hi Giberellin, I think it is difficult, since for example the Spanish breeder Provedo does have a delegation in the United States, and in fact Family Tree Farm grows varieties from the Spanish breeder Provedo.
The breeder PSB Produccion Vegetal, I believe that does not have a delegation in the United States, so at a hobby level, this variety could only enter “through the back door.”

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

Hi Jose,
You said all modern apricots taste like potato, so why should this be different?

1 Like

Hi Primoz, very good observation.
When I have spoken badly about modern varieties of apricots, I have had bad experiences with the varieties of Cot international, IPS, or Escande to name a few breeders.
It’s not that PSB is my favorite (I prefer peaches, flat peaches, and nectarines from the breeder Provedo), but I have to admit that PSB takes great care of its apricot production.
They will never have the flavor, sweetness and aronas of the traditional apricots from Valencia and Murcia (if you have the opportunity to get the Mitger de Castellon apricot variety , you will understand what I am talking about).
But Stroboli is a very pretty apricot with a good flavor.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

I’m an idiot of course as it looks so much like a nectarine I thought ‘leaf curl’ right away.

It’s stunning looking and interesting as some of the fruit appear to be oblong.

1 Like

Hahahaha Phil you already want to grow red-fleshed apricots in Louisiana.
First you must obtain more Rootpac-R rootstocks (you have come a long way in this regard), and with a little luck, you can have these or others even better varieties in your orchard.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

It’s a sickness as I have so far to go with what I already have and am planning.

:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Slow down Phil, that Rome wasn’t built in a week.
You already have the most complicated thing, which is the appropriate rootstock for your land.
I know that you are surprised how well Rootpac-R works in your soil, compared to all the others you have tried.
Once you have more rootstocks, the varieties for graft they will arrive easily.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

:grin:

Though it may not seem to be the case José, I actually have a lot of patience.

I do however have a lot of curiosity and quite enjoy going through all that is out there, even if it isn’t appropriate for my location or even if I never try it out.

And yes I am quite happy with the Rootpac-R thus far, though of course the coming years will tell for sure.

Ideally if whatever I graft doesn’t work out in a few years I will have the developed rootstock to regraft to.

Check you PMs… I sent you a video of my Rootpac-R with their current desert gold peach grafted on.

They look so happy and healthy they don’t appear to even be thinking about going dormant and dropping leaves.

2 Likes

Yes I know what you mean. Spanish varieties like Galta Vermella, Mitger, Moro de Bou, Rojo Carlet or Tadeo are great. But don’t be such a patriot :yum:, some italian are amazing too.

I just checked with someone who knows way more than me on this subject and he wasn’t impressed with Stromboli. But the good news is that it is not “protected” because PSB withdrawn the aplication. So you can share it with our US friends (with phytosanitary certificate of course :wink:).
Instead of Stromboli my friend recommends BA87-11!

Regarding Diablotina, we have a winner here!
My friend isn’t impressed with Testarossa (another red fleshed nectarine from PSB) but he said Diablotina is a must have.
I’ll get it in spring! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Dear Jose, thank you. I have written to the company to buy one. I hope they say yes!

Pimoz, it is very likely (I must inform myself well), that the BA87-11 variety is the same as Stromboli.
Normally breeders assign a code to each interesting selection, to later assign it a commercial name in the European variety registry.
I give you an example
Which of these peach varieties do you like best:

• Pro-486
  • Extreme Onis

They are the same variety

https://www.provedo.com/es/producto/fruit-trees/melocoton-nectarina/extreme-onis/

And I think exactly the same thing happens with BA87-11 and Stromboli

But I’m not 100% sure and I should send an email to ask the breeder (Stephane Buffat).

When Stephane answers me, I will confirm if it is the same or different varieties.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Hi Mrs Gibson.
It is very difficult for them to sell you one or two trees directly from PSB (they sell for large plantations), it is much easier to get it through a PSB distributor nursery.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Yes those names are just to confuse us. :blush: I liked numbered Provedo names better. Once you get used to numbers its hard to go by names Onis, Orio, Rin…

Stromboli is “fav10-30” so I doubt its the same as BA87-11. It also has different ripening time. Stromboli should be around 3 weeks later.

3 Likes

Today I have already received 2 trees of Stromboli

Regards
Jose

6 Likes

I know these trees Jose marica :wink:

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum Kiko!

2 Likes