Stuck the first cuttings on bottom heat today. What do you have rooting in 2024?

Honeyberry, seaberry, goumi, currant, peach, and kiwi

Had great success with most of these last year in marginal heat and some sun. This year I’m doing them a month earlier with no sunlight. Ideally they remain until we’ll calloused and maybe the beginning of roots pushing, then lifted and transferred to nursery beds. I’m also placing them in clumps to have more space. They really don’t need room as they are ideally not doing much growing in this media

i

10 Likes

I waited til now because my heat mat controller was in use for fig cuttings indoors. I used slightly damp pro mix and kept a bag around the pots until buds necessitated opening them. A bit figgly, but effective. They have rooted well after a month and are most all putting on green growth! These are my first and I’m super pleased to have so many takes. So satisfying

5 Likes

Peaches actually rooted really well?

1 Like

Peaches are new to me. These are lovell
I had some success rooting softwood cuttings under mist of this variety, so I figured I’d try hardwood

ive tried haskap directly in soil and had very poor results, last year I calloused them over heat first and then stuck in the soil with much better results. I will do the same again this year. Currants I dont even bother with heat, they do fine directly in the soil for me typically. Havent tried any of the extras you have listed.

4 Likes

ive heard cinnamon or honey can work also, havent tried either myself.

I will be rooting a few Chicago Hardy and Olympian fig cuttings… but I start that early April, outside.

I use promix HP.

Worked great last year… 3 of 3 success.

2 Likes

Is your setup in a garage or basement with moist vermiculite and bottom heat? Any tips on goumi? I have to thin mine out some and thought I’d try rooting the decent-looking stuff.

What temperature do you set your heat mat on for the honeyberry cuttings. Do you keep them dark or in a sunny window? Will a bag of seed starter mix work and do you need rooting powder? My attempts to root them in the ground have failed. This sounds like a fun project, even though I don’t need any more bushes.

I chopped up the top part of the Lovell sucker I just grafted onto and stuck the pieces in the dirt. I expect they’ll just dry out after they wake up and leaf out, but if one roots that’ll be nice.

I rooted two Elderberry cuttings in a “figpop” style bag and moved them to a pot.

And I took cuttings from my Chicago Hardy fig and 6/7 have rooted and sprouted leaves.

They’re going to be gifts for a couple people.

3 Likes

In a shed. Gets somewhat warm on warm days, but it’s the best I’ve got! Garage would be better
Goumi callous up well with bottom heat. They will usually rot before they root if you stick them directly. This is the best method I’ve found. They seem to be resistant or slow to grow roots from their stems if you stool layer or something like that

Vermiculite seems to be a poor choice of medium! Sand and perlite would be better. This is a mixture of the three, plus some potting soil. Free materials that were lying around. The vermiculite seems to conduct heat pretty well and perhaps allows too much air, so most of the cuttings near the heating cable had their ends shrivel and die from heat. I’ll be cutting the shriveled ends off and will see if they will callous again. Lowering the heat.
Definitely learning still!

No root hormone. 78 degrees or so, but even if they stay around 60 degrees at their roots they will callous well. I rooted some as an experiment last year and they were just about 100 percent, so this year I decided to do more. The vigorous growth from the cuttings was quite high!

Thanks! I’m glad you already have things going- it looks like I’m probably too late this year. The AHS Propagation book I have lists the elaeagnus genus as needing up to 12 weeks to root, but maybe I’ll try again next year if it looks like some progress was made by the time summer kicks in. I’ll try to remember to post pics of my rooting setup if it shows promise.

haskap and hawthorn over heat…

2 Likes

I started them in march last year and they calloused within a month or so. You don’t need them to root, just not rot, and begin the root initiation. I think you’d be fine to begin them now

1 Like

normally ground would be frozen solid and snow on the ground right now, its been unusually warm, so I started mine early. Im about a month ahead of where I normally would be I think. The sooner I get my cuttings in the ground, the better chance they will root I think.

a little more callus than i would prefer… i like to pull them before roots start showing typically.

3 Likes

Giombo maybe… still crossing my fingers. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I always have a few too many things rooting (or testing whether they will root). Apart from dozens of avocado cuttings in every stage of the rooting process, I’ve currently got some che, a few types of citrus, a couple figs, mulberry, and a loquat cutting, just to name a few.

The loquat has been in soil since late December, no sign of desiccation yet, and might be showing a hint of a new flush starting:

The che (for an impenetrable hedge planting) is scionwood that I chopped up a bit and did fig-pop style under a glass jar for humidity, stuck on heat in late December and just now starting to bud out:

I’ll remove the jar soon, but not quite yet. Here’s what they look like covered:

Here’s a TDE3 (aka Tahoe Gold®) cutting that’s been on heat since November and looks to be budding out (recently graduated from it’s jar):

The most recent additions to the avocado cutting area are from tree #311, one of my favorite trees from last year’s seedlings, with tiny leaves, a nice growth habit, and no leaf damage from 30°F at barely a year from seed. It is being distributed to a project member this weekend, so I took cuttings a few weeks ago, so that more members can get clones of this tree next year. You can see photos of the ortet in the linked tree profile, these cuttings were the shoots you see around the base in recent photos, so I expect most of them to root eventually:

3 Likes