Successful overwintering of peppers? What now?

I have a yellow sweet pepper that I overwintered.

During the winter it produced a few peppers, and now that I have it outside for spring, it has another 3 peppers on it, and flower buds to produce more.

Only thing is the leaves are very “wilty”. Floppy and thin and look like they’re about to fall off…but like I said, it still seems like it’s trying to produce, it just doesn’t look super healthy.

Anyone else overwinter sweet peppers (or any kind of pepper?). Any advice for getting it to perk up? Do you think I should remove it from its pot and re-plant in my raised bed, or just leave it in its pot this summer? How many seasons should I be able to do this?

I got my three hot Thai peppers in the shade right now and slowly introduce them to sun light so no sun burns,

Tony

Even though peppers can’t handle cold weather and are treated as annuals, they are actually perennials. So you should be able to do what you did for many years. I would get the plant used to the sun little by little for a week or so and then when you normally plant pepper in your area I would plant it out in raised beds. Give it a good hair cut and It will come back fast for you. Good job keeping it alive indoors. I’m much better at veggie gardening outdoors than indoors. :grinning:
(Meaning I kill everything inside the house)

1 Like

That’s good to know. I actually left my jalapeño in ground over the winter, and it’s starting to leaf out. I wasn’t sure if it would be viable.

It would help to remove the peppers and stimulate it to create more. But you could leave them too. They are sensitive to the change. Acclimate them slowly else it will die. In the raised bed it will explode, but keep it where it is till it shows signs of recovering. Careful not to over water too.
I kept a Black Pearl as a bonsai for 3 years, and I got tired of taking care of it. I don’t have time for bonsai. So I planted it in the ground for it’s third summer. It exploded in growth

1 Like

Not exactly overwintered as I started these indoors a few months ago. They are growing like crazy tho and I should be able to harvest a few peppers soon. Dont move peppers outside until its fairly nice out, they dont like the cold. When you do, keep them in shade for a week or so till they get used to the increased light intensity.

2 Likes

Those are nice looking lights. Any info on them?

they r led cob lights i built myself. cxm22 cobs, 3000k 90cri with meanwell driver. each diode it’s getting about 55 watts.

I am trying to overwinter 3 plants, but spider mites are a problem. I sprayed them with some dormant oil, but there’s other problems related to the :bulb:.
Led lights seem to cause leaf burn.
I’ve been gradually replacing the Regular Led with gro lights.
They cost a lot more, but have a better spectrum of light for the plants.

what grow lights are you using? spider mites can be a real headache… i think neem oil can help with them, either as a spray or soil soak. don’t buy into the hype that blurple lights are better than white light. around 4k white light is hard to beat and has everything plants need pretty much, it’s what the evolved in under the sun, minus some infra red and UV. indoor growing can be challenging, what temps are you keeping these plants in? looks like u might have some nutrient def going on, maybe mg.

The peppers are on a heat mat
It’s 79 degrees for 16 hours a day and goes off at night to a room temperature of 64.

I’m using in a mix 50/50 of Led and Led Grow lights. They’re about 3 feet away from the plants.
The std. LED lights are 1,600 lumens, and there’s 10 of them around the heat mat.

Yeah
I will give them a little Mg.,and see if it helps.