Sugar Twist Pluerry VICTORY!

VICTORY!!! After calling around all nurseries in northern CA on the DWN variety finder list, I finally found a place that had one! It was 75 miles away but I just didn’t want to wait until next year to get one. I am thrilled with size of it. It’s 9/16" in diameter and already has some nice low branching structure unlike the 5/16" whip of a Candy Heart I got last year!

16 Likes

It’s a very nice tree you got. Hopefully, the cherry taste will really come through in this variety.

Personally, I try to avoid any pruning of stone fruit trees during the winter (especially when it’s as rainy as this year). The chances of getting canker are too high.

Yes congrats. I too am wishing that someday one of these cherry crosses will actually taste like cherry. Maybe sugar twist is the one.

1 Like

@SteveM

What did you do with the sticks you pruned?

I’d send a graft to you of pecan/hickory/Persian Walnut/Persimmon/or pawpaw for a stick or (if you don’t have them - could you squeeze another stick off your tree if it’s dormant yet?)

EDIT: I see it’s patented.

Dax

1 Like

Nice tree, Can you send me some of the pruned branches for the barbeque? Only keep them nice and moist so they burn slow?

9 Likes

I forget about patents. They rarely cross my mind.

That was a good one @Johnnysapples

Dax

1 Like

I agree I had a good laugh. Gardening websites tend to be serious so always nice to find jokes like this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Sugar Twist from Raintree come tomorrow .

4 Likes

Vincent do you have all the pluerries then?

Hi John.
No, just the last 4 new ones. Candy heart, sweat Treat, Nadia, and Sugar Twist.
I do not know how do they perform in Pacific Northwest yet. Really rare information about them, just fruit tree testing process.

1 Like

I have those except sugar twist. I’m excited about Candy Heart.

2 Likes

I didn’t think Nadia was considered a Pluerry. More of a Cherry Plum. I thought they were both cherry/plum crosses but they had different pollen parent varieties. One style used a cherry seed parent and the other used a plum seed parent. Maybe I’m wrong

1 Like

Nadia is from Australia and not a pluerry. You’re right Zager owns the Pluerries. I’m not sure exactly how they were pollinated.

1 Like

We’re running out of words here. :wink: The name “Cherry Plum” is the common name for the species Prunus cerasifera a.k.a. Myrobalan. It’s not a very fortunate name since P. cerasifera is separate Prunus species which is closely related to plums but not to cherries, and it’s not a hybrid of plum and cherry.

2 Likes

My Sugar Twist came. Like a whip about 4 ft with good root system.

those whips can grow out lots of branches. You’ll see a big difference in it this growing season. That’s how my Sweet Treat came last year.

1 Like

My Sugar Twist, first one from left.

2 Likes

My Sugar Twist, Apricots on Lowell root stock, and Coffee Cake Persimmon. Hopefully they doing well in Pacific Northwest maritime cool summer climate areas.

1 Like