Suggestion on what to do with this space?

I originally cleared the area to the left to put some river rocks. I no longer want to do that, but I’m not sure of what else to do with it. It’s on the bottom part of a slope, so water usually gathers there for a bit when it rains. It also doesn’t get any direct sunlight because of the fence. I’m in outside of Houston and the dirt is mainly clay. Oh, we have rabbits that eat everything. I just don’t know what to do to make it a bit nicer than just grass all over. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
space

1 Like

Can you fence off the rabbits? If so then blackberries (e.g. Ponca) are worth a shot in your 9A Houston clay.

3 Likes

Pity the fence. You could get a San Jacinto apple tree on dwarf rootstock on a pole. Put some hardware cloth around it to keep rabbits off it until it grows. San Jacinto is a Houston, TX. apple by way of Georgia.

2 Likes

@dannytoro1
Checkout the breeding lines of modern blackberries.

1 Like

I have 2 blackberries! They’re the ones inside the round fence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I have 6 lines of Blackberries. Only 1 is really new.

White Madeira fig tree. Or an Asian Pear tree.

1 Like

What is the direction that the fence runs? N-S, E-W? It’s likely it gets some sun? Am or Pm?

1 Like

Rabbits chew tree trunks in the winter.

If it doesn’t get any direct sunlight, put in a hottub…

1 Like

Raised bed made from cedar?

1 Like

The fence runs E-W. The sun will go up to the blackberry in the spring and summer, but that’s it. I guess no matter what I plant, I’ll have to put a fence around it.

I wish. That’s out of my price range.

If you like grapes you can erect a higher arbor parallel to your fence so that the canopy is exposed to sun the majority of the day. I constructed a similar one and it works very well. I can send a pic if you are interested. Would also work for kiwi
Dennis
Kent wa

And Reverend morgan is a Houston apple by way of Houston