Summer 2021 - Show Us Your Fruit!

Picked some berries today. It’s been so hot that the berries are drying out and burning pretty fast. Nothing seems to enjoy 100+ for weeks on end.

26 Likes

Still getting some early McIntosh apples… they shine up nicely.

TNHunter

11 Likes

Howard’s Miracle? That’s what this graft was labeled. Mine kinda follows the arboreumco description for Howard’s, but it seems early for my climate. Whatever it is, it blooms very early and I have never got any before. They set so early, maybe they were at just the right stage of development this year to withstand the frost. There are still several unripe on the tree. I picked these ones right after 2 days of heavy rain. 14 brix. In my climate, that’s good for such an early plum. Good flavor.

15 Likes

It’s not Howard Miracle, it’s Beauty. 100%.

3 Likes

@Stan → Thanks! That makes sense. It’s also very vigorous and a juice bomb. The few I’ve had so far are better than Early Golden (similar ripening date) even under unfavorable conditions rain-wise.

1 Like

I picked some satsuma oranges early to make some satsumanade.

16 Likes

Leaves on mine were redish purple and turned to green, the fruit was red, with white flesh. Loved it until it died after 15 years.

1 Like

Buddy and our Stella cherries. Pulled about 40 lbs. off this year.

18 Likes

I picked some methley plums today to give to my cousin. Very fortunate to have enough fruit to give away some to friends and family.

23 Likes

First Joan j raspberry and some of the last of the early kawaii honeyberries

11 Likes

Could you please tell me which blackberries were the sweetest? or highest brix? thank you

John Rivers nectarine with some very small Beauty plums.

17 Likes

My rain-soaked Spring Snow peaches.

17 Likes

Spring Satin pluots

Howard Miracle Plums

24 Likes

Excited to see your John Rivers nectarine, I have a small JR tree. How does it taste? Does it set reliably?

They look so clean for what looks like being under thinned!

Nice haul

1 Like

It’s pretty good! Good fruit set, good tasting. Even with my high humidity and sandy soil, it was not affected with bacterial spot.

It is a miracle that that branch of your Howard Miracle does not break :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My Spring Satin are darker than yours (more purple, not reddish like yours). It was my first year having them so I really do not know when to pick.

1 Like

I have a couple dozen Slash pluots growing on a graft that look to be a few weeks out. I found one of them on the ground that had some insect damage on the orange side. It obviously ripened early due to the insect damage. I’m not too prissy to sample the clean side of the fruit despite it being the least colored. I got two clean bites out of it and it was amazing. Best thing I’ve tasted out of my orchard in 5 years. I’ve heard it is average when compared to the more popular pluots but to me it tasted great and fills an early gap. Hopefully the remaining fruits make it to true ripening and I an really get a true sampling of the fully ripe fruit.

13 Likes

Hall’s Beauty-17 brix
Columbia Star-12 brix
Newberry-11 brix
Obsidian-11 brix
I tried to select a decent representative for each test,which was done by finding fruit,that were past the shiny stage and getting a little dull in appearance.

4 Likes