Summer Delight Aprium

I picked a couple of Summer Delight Apriums today, they are still not fully ripe yet, nevertheless, they were good. The flavor is sweet and acidic, with an after-taste of Santa Rosa plum. And with a crunchy flesh. I measured the brix of one aprium and it scored a 19 brix.

So far, this is the top winner of all aprium varieties that I tasted.

16 Likes

I liked mine this yr as well.

2 Likes

Relative of Flavor Delight?

1 Like

I don’t know. The patent description hasn’t been released yet.

How would you compare it to Cot-N-Candy aprium?

Cot-N-Candy is very aromatic, but the flesh is sweet but with mush flesh, while Summer Delight has no aroma, but it has crunchy flesh, with sweet and acidic flavor.

6 Likes

They are almost ripe. The flavor is now between Geo Pride pluot, Flavor Grenade, and with a touch of apricot.

11 Likes

Only a touch!?

2 Likes

Now that it’s almost ripe, is there still an acidic component?

1 Like

Yup.

1 Like

Like about 20%

1 Like

Hi, I am a new novice fruit tree gardener. I recently purchased my first three stone fruit trees! After agonizing over varieties, and reading many of the threads on this forum, I decided to go with Summer Delight Aprium, Autumn Rose Peach, and Hollywood Plum.

Since you’ve grown Summer Delight Apriums, could you tell me if that is enough trees, or if I would need some other kind of pollenizer for it? (Or for any of the other trees?)

The information on the internet is so conflicting… some sources say that all three of the trees I bought are self fertile. One source said that the hollywood plum needs a pollinizer that is another japanese plum. Customer service at OGW said that the Summer Delight Aprium can pollinate the hollywood plum. I’ve never grown stone fruits before, so I am at a loss for what is true!

If you could let me know your thoughts about the summer delight aprium (and whether it either needs a pollinizer, or can act as a pollinizer for my hollywood plum) would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

From what I’ve read,all your selections are self-fertile.Also,the Aprium and Plum could help each other out,since there is probably Asian Plum in the Summer Delight,somewhere.bb

Thanks so much! Now I’m excited for my trees to get here. I almost switched the hollywood out for a stanley, just because the stanley is definitely self fertile, but now I feel more confident keeping the hollywood, with the added bonus of it (hopefully) helping the summer delight aprium be more fruitful.

This is one fruit I’m looking forward to trying the most. It seems like deer really love it to, it was one of the only trees that got nibbled harshly out of the ~35 I planted this year. Luckily it bounced back.

may

june

5 Likes

@itheweatherman so could you tell us what is exactly time of the year Summer delight Aprium ripe? I saw your post in August. At least one month ahead of us here in Seattle. Hopefully it works out. (Not In raining months). I just ordered Summer delight and Leah cot Aprium. Thank you.

2 Likes

It varies. If we get hot Summers it ripens in late-July and if we get mild Summers it ripens in late-August.

2 Likes

Thank you Ulises.

1 Like

Just curious if folks got good production out of their summer delight aprium? I understand we represent many different climates.

@itheweatherman @SteveM @puggylover75 @RichSV

1 Like

I do not expect very many, the heavy rain around here is negatively affecting pollination. Flavor Delight made it though, pollination happened between atmospheric rivers. They will need to be thinned soon. Ten year old Blenheim and Tilton trees are in bloom now, not nearly as many blossoms as last season. Time will tell as far as fruit production goes.

1 Like