Summer Grafting Using Green Fresh Scion

Video is of someone (not speaking english) doing an interesting limb graft. What I find more interesting is he has a series of videos in which he is grafting all the way into august. And most interesting he is just cutting off fresh limbs with leaves to graft with.

Appears to be working for him. I like it better than winter collection. Anyone tried?
This guy has a ton of different grafting videos. Almost all using fresh cut scion.

Note-Hit the cc button on video for subtitles.

3 Likes

Yes I did a few and about half took. And the ones that took grew right away and every node sprouted leaves. It’s been a few weeks, still looking good. I did 2 more last week.
Just to clarify on a peach tree, half taking on peach grafts it’s time to celebrate. Peaches are the hardest!

4 Likes

Yes, I have watched many of his videos and he is certainly innovative. The one thing I would like to know is how far north is he located in Russia as this definitely could impact how late you could graft sucessfully. I somehow have the feeling the summer time high temp at his location does not get anywhere near as high as many who read this forum. The grafting season would probably not get underway till much later if he is at a very northerly location I’m thinking.

He uses very unorthodox methods, but he does seem to have good success as he most always shows off his results.

4 Likes

I especially appreciate that he shows the healed and growing grafts.

Don’t love how he holds the knife and whittles, but that’s incidental to sharing the graft techniques…

3 Likes

Anyone ever have any luck grafting dormant scion to new/green growth? For example, you got scion for grafting but the root stock died back to the ground over the winter and is actively regrowing now.

1 Like

From the way he speaks and people names that he mentioned in some of the videos, he lives in one of the Northern Caucasus republics of the Russian Federation, most likely North Ossetia Alania. It’s in the southernmost part of Russia, but located in mountains so his climate conditions can vary significantly depending on the elevation.

4 Likes

A July 7th pear graft took. A 10 inch plum branch took in August. A 10 in peach branch took in October with temps 60 to 70f. They were clef grafts and all fresh wood.

I tried graft a green fresh scion using different method, it worked.
One of the member on this forum introduced a three flap grafting method,

Out of curiosity, I tried the method grafting 2 fresh plum scion to a peach tree in mid-July. One survived, it grows really well. I posted my result in the above link.

1 Like