Summer Greens

Any recommendations on growing summer greens? Any reputable sites where they are in stock? Thanks!

I really like Red Russian Kale. Are most places sold out? You could try Morgan County Seed or Twilley(you can’t order online)

I put an order in with Johnny’s March 29, hopefully that shows up sometime soon.

2 Likes

Malabar spinach - very productive, vining and if cooked I didn’t perceive a difference to regular spinach. I got the seeds from seedsavers.org which might not be shipping anymore this year.

2 Likes

I second Malabar spinach, but the slime factor can get a bit high for me if not mixed with other greens. I like New Zealand spinach even better, and Perpetual Spinach (Chard) is pretty good too.

1 Like

I agree with New Zealand spinach. It is a perennial in my zone (6b). I highly recommend Wild Garden Seed. I’ve ordered from them for many years, and I’m always happy. They kind of specialize in lettuces and greens.

2 Likes

I grow longevity spinash and Okinawa spinash. I like them!

Ilike the offerings from Fedco Seeds, esp. mizuna, Lady Murasaki, sword leaf lettuce. Don’t know what they have on hand -I’m still using seed from a season or so ago.

Thanks everyone. So far, I’ve ordered Amaranth, Safflower and Fenugreek. I’ve sowed slow bolt cilantro but it won’t do well if temps get too hot now. Can’t find a source for Malabar spinach. :frowning:

I have some spare seeds of Malabar Spinach if you need.

1 Like

Thanks Alex. Appreciate your offer. I’ll take up on it only if it means you don’t have to visit the post office. Stay safe!

1 Like

I don’t know if the Malabar spinach will transplant easy. I have some random seedlings popping up in the old bed. Whenever I visit your place to pick up Lovell, I can drop them off.

No problem at all Vinod. I bought them as an impulse a few months back and then realized I don’t have a good spot for it.
Just PM your info and I can slip the packet in an envelope and bypass the trip to the post office.

Johnnys Seeds is temporarily closed to small buyers, but once they reopened i would recommend their Woodpecker spinach. Very slow to bolt, even when sown in late spring.

1 Like

Escarole, part of the Endive family. Makes the best Italian Greens!

2 Likes

New Zealand spinach (Tetragonia tetragonioides) harvest. It has been self seeding for over 20 years. It does not taste like spinach to me but is a useful cooked vegetable. Wikipedia mentions this " its medium to low levels of oxalates need to be removed by blanching the leaves in hot water for one minute, then rinsing in cold water before cooking."

1 Like

JUst thinking about this myself

What is a good site to order from
Looking for Brown Mustard seed for spicy greens
Love the spice grew it before reseeded many years, but eventually weeds took over it,

This really helps me medicinally so It would mean a lot for me to grow it
(or even buy leaves on a regular basis tastes like Wasabi you put on sushi , and it is the same stuff.)