Sumo Orange

I assume you are asking about Boukhobza. It’s a very sweet complex blood orange that is basically a combination of a good navel and good blood orange. Ripe from late January to early March

5 Likes

Hi, I’ll send a pic of the naval orange.
Even though it has fruited, it seems all the fruit taste bad and dry.
Not only do the fruit taste bad, but the tree hardly produces after
many years.
I’ll take a pic of the tree, fruit, seeds and the inside of the fruit.
There are still oranges on this tree.

I have the clementine which produces wonderfully and a Texas orange that
was my first buy.
I bought some unmarked citrus for 10.00 each and have just planted this year
so I may have more.
Since we are rather isolated in Texas due to the quarantine, I may not be able
to buy your recommended varieties.
I’ll check for the gold varieties when I go to a nursery on Friday. Didn’t know about
the gold.
Also never heard of the Boukhobza either.

We had 2 20 degree winters 2 years ago which I am believing will never happen again.
Since I have so many tropicals, I am thankful the last 2 winters have been mild - no work
with plant covering.
Planted one avocado with 2 to go. Have lost several, but this year I am using bio-tone when
planting. It has microbes and seems to be working well. I can see the beauty in the leaves.

This is the only time of year (cool) for us to work.

Hope everyone has a blessed garden this year. Thanks for all the recommendations.
A friend keeps trying to graft citrus and has failed over and over. Grafting doesn’t seem
viable for me. She is successful with pear.

2 Likes

Super cool blog, you have a great selection of citrus! As for the Boukhobza, it looks and sounds very similar to Torroco Bream, which is suposed to be the largest and sweetest blood orange. When you juice Morro and Torroco mixed, the results are the most amazing citrus juice imaginable. The flavors are strong navel orange, boysenberry, cherry, and grape, absolutely fantastic, and a great way to shrug off a cold!

13 Likes

I just can’t take my eyes off these pics :slight_smile: I don’t think I have enough chill to have Tarrocco bleed like that, but now I wanna try regardless!!

1 Like

I never realized how important it is to buy orange trees for different times of the year.
The clementine is early for us in early Dec. You’d better get them off the tree or they will
fall.
Later season varieties would be great then there would be citrus all year. I will study the
posts to see what are the late varieties.
I have never heard of most of these. Someone sent an email saying to contact Brazos
Citrus Nursery a Wholesale nursery to see where they distribute. Will do.

1 Like

Amazing

1 Like

Gold nugget not available in Texas along with all the other patented California varieties.

@californicus, I think chill has a lot to do with the citrus color, flavor and denseness here, and our peaches and nectarines want to bleed as well! Could be something in the soil? I know the peaches and nectarines here get limited water and lots of sun. Still trying to figure everything out, and will be for a while, we will hopefully see! Those pics are from 2 weeks ago, since then it has got really hot here and ruined my Gold Nugget mandarins and who knows what else. The GN’s are very sensitive to heat, and are nothing like last year. It has been drought weather here so far this winter, the last two weeks have been extremely hot for this time of year here. Tarroco Bream is excellent, as well as Morro, I would try both, Moro is very sweet/tart with berry, cherry and grape flavors, Tarocco Bream is more sweet navel orange/ slight berry/cherry flavor. The kids like Tarraco Bream, we like a mix. You probably can’t go wrong with either!

3 Likes

@carolstropicals, I really don’t know what to advise here about cutting citrus back, if you knew how to graft that would be my first recommendation, if its not good now I can’t see it being much better in the future. I am no citrus expert by any means, sorry. I think my best recommendation would be to plant a new citrus tree you know you will like, for as little as I know.

Thank you, that is what I was thinking all along - to cut the entire tree down. Don’t know what happened.
Someone recommended call a Brazos wholesaler and see what they have.

MrTexas says we can’t get the CA citrus here. What is that about ???
We can’t carry them in or get them here – Pooh. All the wonderful varieties recommended
are not available

Brazos is in the process of propagating shiranui(sumo). They haven’t released any yet. If you want some trees of many other varieties come to the urban harvest tree sale tomorrow. It is in Sawyer Yards in Houston and opens at 9am. Don’t come late as trees are sold out in a few hours. Or one of the many local master gardener fruit tree sales in the next few months. Varieties & Prices - Urban Harvest

We can get CA or Florida citrus in Texas by importing bud wood thru the Texas budwood bureau for non patented varieties. However, we can’t get patented varieties like Tango, Yosemite Gold, Gold Nugget etc. For the patented ones you have to grow out seedlings.

I grew out a Sugar Belle seedling and had fruit for the first time this year after waiting 6 years. SB is a Florida patented variety. I have collected seeds for neopolitan and daisy SL from purchased fruit recently. Daisy SL(seedless) has very few seeds but it does have a few. Now the wait of 6 or 7 years. Bought some mandared fruit but haven’t found a seed yet. Had a friend grow out a shiraui seedling that fruited for the first time this year.

I have gotten CA bud wood in the past and grafted trees for uncommon citrus like giant key lime, lee x nova, lee x orlando, lee x robinson, sudachi, midnight valencia, Xuegan sweet orange, new zealand lemonade, de nules clementine, bream tarocco, smith red blood orange, sereki acqui sugar orange, valentine pummelo hybrid, shiranui, etc. It used to cost me $40 per variety plus $35 shipping. Now the Texas budwood bureau charges that and $150 service fee so $250 for one variety. Getting bud wood and propagating yourself allows you to have new varieties that may never be available commercially or 5 years before they are available.

Last year I got giant key lime, red finger lime and two pummelo hybrids so $86 per variety. Would have been OK but no buds from giant key lime or red finger lime took. I was intending to split the cost with friends but can’t split the cost without buds taking! I also used to propagate for sale citrus trees so didn’t mind the extra cost. But as of two years ago I can’t legally propagate for sale citrus trees due to citrus greening threat.

2 Likes

Ouch…

Second season fruit evaluation Gardening : My Sumo seedling and Shiranui fruit tasting 2021

1 Like