Supreme Vs Black Beauty Muscadine

I need a tiebreaker for these two! Can’t decide which to go with. I hear good things from both.

1 Like

Both have good traits. Supreme probably would be the better producer. They are both females requiring a self fertile variety so they will be pollinated. If your interested in an alternative Paulk might meet your needs. It is large and self fertile.

2 Likes

Supreme is hands down the better vine. IMO, Paulk still has some proving to do to show that it is up to the hype. Another year or two will resolve this question.

2 Likes

I have late fry as my pollinator, I just wanted to add one more.

1 Like

Sounds like supreme might be the winner!

1 Like

I have black beauty. Vigorous vine and big fruit. More grape like mild flavor than muscadine flavor. I can’t compare to supreme I don’t grow it

4 Likes

https://muscadines.caes.uga.edu/cultivars/fresh-market-cultivars.html

https://muscadines.caes.uga.edu/cultivars/juice-cultivars.html

Do your own due diligence.

2 Likes

Supreme gets my vote. One of my favorite. I’m pulling Black Beauty to allow more growth for Hall.

2 Likes

My opinion of BB is similar to yours. Very good crunchy sweet taste.

Both are very good tasting in my opinion. I added another Hall. Glad that I can have both. Two Hall and one Black Beauty.

1 Like

Supreme appears to be the most popular choice for good reasons. Paulk has been out a few years now but most people that I’ve talked to says Supreme is better tasting. I added two Paulk this year so I don’t have any actual taste test to compare with.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Supreme it is!

1 Like

Not to muddy your choice, but in my yard/climate Black Beauty is much tastier than Supreme (which is still productive and acceptable quality). Maybe it has to do with how far North I am, compared to the others who are growing both.

1 Like

I have grown both supreme and bb for many years in Houston. While supreme is sweet and much larger than bb, supreme does not come close to the sweetness of bb. Most years carlos is sweeter than supreme in Houston. Regarding sweetness and flavor, bb is hands down the winner. Supreme does have a large size advantage. These are Houston growing conditions with high temps and much sunshine year round.

1 Like

Does Black Beauty produce reliably each year? How late does it ripen for you?

Interesting, and how do they compare as far as production? Excluding size of course.

I don’t want to derail the conversation, but Big Red is sweeter than either Black Beauty or Supreme. IMO, Big Red is a better grape than either of them too. You have to ask Ison’s for Big Red by name to find out if they have any in stock. I purchased Big Red back about 1988 and have 1 vine from that bunch still growing. I also have Black Beauty and Supreme. Big Red has a problem with growing very slowly in some conditions. I have not had this problem, but some others have. If you get a large well developed vine at least 4 feet long, Big Red will grow as fast as any of the others. It peaks between 24% and 26% sugar. There are some special cautions about growing Big Red if you want it to be consistently productive. It has to be fertilized each year and it must be pruned properly. After the crop is harvested, apply about 10 pounds of 13-13-13 fertilizer per plant so the nutrient level in the plant is very high for the next spring. I routinely pick 100+ pounds per year per vine.

2 Likes

Can’t say I’ve heard of that variety. I’ll have to take a look.

From purely a taste opinion Black Beauty is the winner for me. Supreme is also good and at my location has been a better producer. I will be keeping BB because of its awesome taste.

1 Like