Surinam Cherry (Eugenia uniflora)

A couple years ago I planted a Surinam Cherry in my front entry way. It’s now flowering like gangbusters!

7 Likes

Mine has a ton of flower buds on it too this year…

and one big fruit!

5 Likes

Wow!

Yeah, I got maybe 15-20 flowers in November… all the other fruit fell off in the heavey santa annas we had. But this one held and it is pretty big and still green and growing bigger. Now it is loaded with flower buds. I wouldn’t mind if it has more that one crop per year (if it turns out not to be a fluke of our unusually warm winter).

Fruits year-round in native habitat. Growers in my region get about 5 crops in 3 years.

1 Like

Is the SC cherry taste close to our sweet tart cherry?

Tony

Nope. Also – they are not Prunus, but rather in the Myrtle family.

2 Likes

They do have a vauge cherry taste to me, but there is an underlying resinous flavor that is not unpleasant when the fruit is compleatly ripe.

1 Like

Fruit is getting some color now…

8 Likes

8 Likes

Spring inflorescence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine is throwing out flowers too!

4 Likes

Black surinam cherries in season in Miami Fl!!

2 Likes

7 Likes

I’d like to try them,for the flavor and also to taste the resinous part.

1 Like

So do they taste like sweet cherry? Does any other fruit taste like prunus avium?

Cherry of the Rio Grande is suppose to taste like Bing,along with a little Banana.

Taste is sweet and subtle with a hint of spiciness, very pleasant. Flesh is softer than cherry

No. Surinam cherry flavor is somewhat bland with overtones of gasoline.

Yes. And keep in mind that the fruit photos from sellers can be misleading: they are not ripe until the skin is dark purple.

3 Likes