Sweet 16 apple

My friend has a sweet 16 apple tree he got from gurneys and planted in 2007. It was marked as standard rootstock. It has had issues with deer the first year, then was caged. It has never grown much, It’s current size looks like a 1-2 year old tree… Does a tree runt out from a tough first few years? Is 16 not very tough?

I am thinking we should take a cutting and start over, but if it is just a wimpy tree then it would be better to replace with something else.

The only runted out apple trees I see have excess spur wood and tree would be flowering from that wood at least every other year. First study the soil and competition. Simply not getting off to a good start shouldn’t be a permanent set back.

Make sure the drainage is adequate and nearby trees or grass and weeds aren’t in competive closeness and the soil is decent.

If those conditions are met I suggest you give the tree a nice shot of nitrogen from any quick release source at first sign of growth.

Trees on standard rootstock that aren’t fruiting don’t runt out unless as Alan mentioned, poor conditions. Even then it seems unlikely.

It’s the really dwarfing roots like M27 allowed to overbear young that runt out.

It definitely sounds like a soil issue, maybe too wet?
Sweet 16 grows into a fine tree here in upstate ny

Is anyone growing Sweet Sixteen in hot, humid zone 7? Would love to have it but can’t find any mention of it being grown hotter than zone 6.

1 Like

Getting some in the mail this week to graft. Sweet sixteen and grafting to g.41 rootstock, 7b AL, 1100-1400 chill hours (depending on chart) I will find out for myself, will take time to find out myself, but the information will be out there someday if no one else knows.

1 Like

I have Sweet 16 on M7 here in middle TN. However, it’s only been in the groud for one year. So, no report on the fruit, yet. It grew well here, and has nice dark green leaves. Looks like it will have a few flowers this year, but will likely wait until next year before I let it produce. It does seem very precocious - it had a few flower buds on it when it came from the nursery (Burnt Ridge).

Thanks for responses. I’ll be very interested in hearing how your 16 fruit turns out.

1 Like

Sweet 16 is the only apple I’ve eaten that I really dislike. I prefer even Red Delicious. If I want licorice I will buy some- it is not a flavoring I want in my apples. To me, Sweet 16 tastes slightly poisonous.

Such a subjective thing, rating fruit quality but I expect someday someone will post a similar reaction to this strange apple.

3 Likes

No personal experience, but “jellyman” an equally experienced orchardist used to rave about it, although he was careful to specify for northern districts.

2 Likes

I’ve had it here in Western Montana and it’s pretty fair- not a raver nor distasteful. I’ve got a stick on my tree but it has yet to bear and isn’t placed well. We’ll see.

Thought you might enjoy this video of a guy growing Sweet Sixteen in Southern Indiana:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zbM7-1pZU64

5 Likes

Sweet 16 got a reputation as not good for hotter climates, but I recently have heard several stories of people getting good apples in hotter places. I had a graft at some point which got munched by deer and plan to give it a go again.

Scott

3 Likes

Awesome video…thanks Matt. I’ve followed this guy a lot…he makes very interesting videos. I have to say, I’ve never given much thought to this apple, but now with all the hoopla and differing opinions I’m anxious as all get out to try it. Anyone got any spare wood of this?
I love the idea of wildly different tasting apples. I ordered Frostbite from ARS Geneva for this exact reason. It too is supposed to be a very uniquely flavored apple according to Fedco and others.
Hopefully I’ll really like it so Alan and I can be at odds on it. He and I are agreeing on way too much lately. :grinning:

1 Like

ARS/GRIN in New York and Masonville Orchards of Colorado have both been known to have Sweet Sixteen scions available in the past.

2 Likes

Yeah…too late for that now though. Might have to wait until next year.

I may have some. I was just about to mail out your other wood, so that was just in time.

I agree that this apple has some unusual flavors; bourbon or cherry to my palate, and is also very sweet(go figure!). I enjoy eating them fresh, my tree has a nice growth habit as well. I hope to someday harvest enough to make a single-varietal hard cider with the juice.

1 Like

Jeff, I included a stick of Sweet Sixteen with your scionwood. I’m guessing that it will take 2 days in the mail, so you’ll probably get it on Friday.

I picked one of these up at a Home Depot at the end of the summer in rough shape, but it came back really nicely and hope to get a crop next year. It sounds like an interesting apple.