Sweet Cherry Hybrid's Prunus × pugetensis, Puget Sound Cherry,

We all know cherry hybrids are hard, but I just discovered. There is a naturally occurring hybrid dubbed the Puget Sound Cherry with is the offspring of Sweet Cherry and Prunus Avium and Oregan Cherry Prunus Emarginata. Exciting as the prospect seems this natural cross is not without its issues. 99% of the fruitlets abort and the Oregan parent is known to be very bitter and unpalatable. Both parents also reach towering heights of 40-60ft. But that aside Emarginata is reported to be closely related to the shrub sized Pin Cherry Prunus Pensylvanica.

Prehaps the fruit aborting can be overcome with 4x selectons.

A NEW HYBRID CHERRY, PRUNUS × PUGETENSIS (P. AVIUM × EMARGINATA, ROSACEAE), FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST on JSTOR

I know of someone who is identifying and collecting the better P. ×pugetensis selections. I’d have to double check, but I think he’s found some that are reliable fruiters.

1 Like

Are there any good examples of photos of each? My neighbor had a volunteer cherry under one of their sweet cherry trees, and it fruited last year and had small, tart fruit entirely unlike the presumed parent tree. I believe there’s a patch of emarginata on the school grounds across the street from us, but there are also tons of other cherries all over the neighborhood so it could be crossed with almost anything.

Here are six links to P. ×pugetensis posts on Facebook.

1 Like