Sweet cherry pollination

Have a sweet cherry tree about 15 years old. Forgot the name. Had 3 trees initially and 2 died. Bought another sweet cherry tree to cross pollinate but it flowers about 2 weeks later than my older tree.

Would like to buy a new sweet cherry tree that blooms earlier so it matches the older tree. Anyone have some suggestions on a tree to buy and where?

Thanks, Chuck

1 Like

Ask Arboreum Company nursery. They have obscure, high quality fruit cultivars. At least one of their sweet cherries is known for pollinating others, has a long bloom season overlapping many others. I just don’t remember the name of it. Great nursery, difficult to communicate with… :confused:

Hi Chuck.
The solution is extremely easy.
Your cherry tree is self-incompatible with the early or mid-flowering period (I would bet a hand that it is not late flowering), so you simply have to graft two branches with two varieties of cherry trees universal pollinators of period early , and mid-flowering .

Recommended varieties easy for you to find cuttings:

Early flowering time:

• Royal Tioga
  • Lapins

Mid flowering time:

• Celeste
  • Skeena
  • Benton
  • Selah
  • Sandra Rose
  • Stella or Compac Stella
  • Sunburst

With a branch (even if it is small) grafted from an early flowering variety of the ones I mentioned, and another branch with another mid-flowering variety of cherry from the ones I mentioned, your cherry tree will bear fruit like a champion.

Best regards
Jose

2 Likes

Do you know the name of the new sweet cherry you bought? That would narrow down the possible candidates that could work for you. If you don’t know I would get White Gold it is a self-fertile sweet cherry and a excellent pollinator. It is a late mid season bloomer and the bloom time should overlap with most sweet cherries. You could also look at a early blooming cherry but if you don’t know the name of the 15 year old tree it’s possible you may pick the same tree you already have and it won’t be able to pollinate the old tree. Here is a chart that shows bloom times and pollen compatibility for sweet cherries.
https://www.grandpasorchard.com/page/_ccLib/attachments/about/GOWeb-Pollination-Swt+Cherry(2013)(Landscape).pdf

1 Like