Sweet cicely (Myrrhis odorata) as a tea sweetner

Anyone growing this as a sweetner? Is it an under canopy plant only? Sweet cicely is reported to grow in zones 3 -7 being cold hardy to -20°F. The hot Kansas summers might be to much for it even in the shade. This is a photo of the plant from ebay
s-l400-2

3 Likes

I grow it. It smells/tastes like licorice…very tough i planted it at the base of columbnar aspens and it get no supplemental water and seems to survive (most everything else i plant there dies) dont know how it will do in your heat but imagine it will survive…seems to be a tough plant

3 Likes

Thank you sounds promising

The type you mention. Myrrhis , is from Europe,
I am unfamiliar with it.
However , there is a Native American sweet cicely…
Osmorhiza longistylis I think ?
That grows wild in the forest understory here.
Seems that there are 2 types here , one with a licorice flavor ,
One without. Look similar.
Grow in the shade here. I snack on them sometimes when walking. Not thick anywhere, just here and there.
It gets hot here in the summer. So it may grow where you are.?
In the shade.

1 Like

My wife does. Does not sell well at farmers market. Maybe we should market it as a sweetener.

1 Like

I have tried pretty hard to get these established and was told they would establish for me in z5 although never found more information on it. Maybe i need to do more to overwinter it as it has never died in the summer although it always wanted more water. Maybe it overwinters this year i think i used up all the seeds i bought to try it?

I wanted it for medicinal and aromatherapy stuff never heard of it as a sweetener.

1 Like