Sweet pepper recommendation needed

I lost a source of pepper seeds I plant every year and looks like it is final. Now I am in search of sweet pepper with flowing properties:
Large disease resistant plants, early, productive, large fruited and meaty, especially good for baking(easy to remove skin is a must!), red or yellow, or both.
Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t grow bell peppers, but do grow a number of good sweet peppers. For a large pepper I like Tekne Dolmasi, Elephant Ear and Carmen F1. Carmen is a basically a improved hybrid of the Italian pepper Corno di Toro Rosso, but is much more productive. I’m sorry but I’ve never really compared them regarding how easy it is to remove the skin, but never found it difficult on any of these.

For more of a stuffing pepper, I’m trying Ashe county pimento, but this is my first year. I’m also Lesya for the first time, which is supposed to be very sweet and thick walled.

4 Likes

my favorite sweet peppers last year were Jimmy nardello, this is a long thin one so I don’t think it fits your baking requirement, but very productive and great taste, and Jolene’s red Italian from nichols. Jolene’s red I think would fit all of your criteria but I don’t remember the skin removal difficulty

2 Likes

I have no idea about skin removal (we never roast them), but I enthusiastically second the recommendation for the long, Italian roasting type peppers. I’ve grown the operatic duo “Carmen” and “Escamillo” for a number of years: they are highly productive, disease-resistant and tasty. This year, because I’m becoming more interested in seed-saving, I’m trialing a number of OP varieties—some of them born from de-hybridization programs that apparently involved “Carmen”: “Perfect Sweet Italian Swarm,” “Gatherer’s Gold,” “Holy Italian,” and “Stocky Red Roaster.” I got them here:

The landrace variety “Perfect Sweet Italian Swarm” may be of especial interest. According to the breeder’s description:

These peppers perform well in climates where sweet peppers traditionally struggle . . . We’ve compared with the farmer-favorite F1 hybrid Carmen and seen them outperform in both fruit quality and production . . . uniform, delicious, early, beautiful Italian sweet peppers . . .

“Stocky Red Roaster,” though not early, reportedly has “thick walls, excellent taste, easy-to-peel skin after roasting.”

3 Likes

I didn’t realize joelene’s red (apparently “joelene’s rustic italian” original name) and gatherer’s gold were from the same program, and there are 18 more of them! I grew both last year, joelene’s red was the standout, but gatherer’s gold was great too. I’m done buying seeds this year but I’m going to order a few more next year, thank you!

https://www.wildgardenseed.com/index.php?cPath=80

2 Likes

Seconding Zendog on Elephant Ear. They would fit you needs: large, thick walled, early, sweet red pepper (pointed, not bell). I roast on the grill, put in a glass bowl with a plate on top for 10-15 minutes and they peel very easily. They are Serbian, from the land of incredible roasted red peppers. Raw and chopped, they freeze well. I just thawed some out today for gumbo. They are far earlier than the earliest Bells for Northern regions. I stopped growing bells after finding these.

1 Like

Another vote for Italian frying peppers like corno, although I don’t grow them specifically for peeling or stuffing. I grew Carmen (red) and Escamillo (yellow) last year and liked them a lot. I got my seed from Johnny’s.

Johnny’s

1 Like

Gatherer’s Gold is an awesome pepper.

1 Like

I like heirlooms which means they can be troublesome at times. I really enjoy saving my own seeds, although they cross easily, you must try to separate. The suggestions given are good ones.
Many here like the Italian cooking pepper, I prefer thicker walled peppers so I grow Aconcagua Pepper to use for cooking. Plus they are good at any stage, green, yellow, orange or red.

I save seeds every year and replant. I wanted a small sweet often called lunchbox peppers and this year I’m trying Antohi Romanian

I only grow heirlooms. I also grow Tennessee Cheese, Yellow Monster, Spanish Mammoth, and some others, one called Sweet White, Beaver Dam is the tastiest stuffing pepper I ever had. Tastes kinda bitter fresh, but has a wonderful flavor cooked.
I live in 6a so have a shorter season. I do end up with a lot of green peppers at the end of the season. I’m not complaining, many ripen during the season. Here’s a photo on my last day of harvest on 10-18-2018. It got cold early that year, sometimes we get all of October. The green peppers are Yellow Monster, and/or Spanish Mammoth.

2 Likes