Sweet pit apricots

Probably for the best yield,another Apricot or Peach/Nectarine and Plum. Brady

1 Like

JustAnne4,
Apricots were a real pain to graft last time I tried and I lost everyone. I used Manchurian rootstock.

1 Like

What type of graft did you use and what time of year?

I tried a rind graft in early and then later spring. If I had it to do again I would do it after the tree was completely leafed out.

2 Likes

My Apricot grafts did get quite a few takes this year.They were done on a Puget Gold Apricot and Fantasia Nectarine.
I waited til things started warming up consistently into the 70’s,probably sometime in June.
Mine were attached with whip and tongue. Brady

1 Like

I got 100% apricot gratfs that have taken. 4 on Easternglo nectarine tree and 2 more on Autumn Star peach tree.

I gradted when the temp was in high 70’s a few days on a row. Some of the scionwood were quite slim. They took so easy. I was surprised.

3 Likes

All cleft grafts.

3 Likes

a very good rootstock for apricot is the myrobalan (we never grafting in almond, the affinity is very bad and after a few years the air will break our point graft union)

indeed there apricots with fresh bone as with almonds, in my country we have the Bulida and canine variety, and some more

if we eat 1 kilo of bitter almonds die, but who is so stupid to do that? if we eat 1 kilo of salt also die

I leave a written article in my country talking bone apricot and cyanide

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=es&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://gastronomiaycia.republica.com/2016/04/27/las-semillas-de-albaricoque-pueden-provocar-envenenamiento-por-cianuro/&usg=ALkJrhiDT90ldiO1OPayD6Pl18_8UfdUsg

1 Like

I just found this discussion group and wanted to give you the information I’ve gathered about sweet pit apricots. The varieties I was able to find in US are Chinese Mormon, Montrose, Precious, Sweetheart, Hunza and Hungarian Rose. Where I’m from (Bulgaria) most apricot varieties have sweet edible kernels and I love their taste. I grew up eating A LOT of those as a kid. I wish I could import some of those varieties to US but unfortunately that is not an option.

3 Likes

Many of the ones you mentioned are for sale in the USA. Chinese Mormon is a very highly stocked apricot and I think Raintree nursery, Burnt Ridge and One Green World, Stark Bros and Bay Laurel all carry it. Montrose is similar. Sweetheart is Stark Bros exclusive I believe. One Green World and Mehraybean nursery sells Precious. Hunza is sold by One Green World and Raintree. Hungarian Rose is a Stark Bros exclusive. Some are certainly not as hardy as others though. I bought 2 sweetheart and neither one lived in my zone 5 weather. Hunza has mixed reviews on hardiness with Raintree claiming only down to zone 6 but One Green World claiming down to zone 4. Stark Bros claims Hungarian Rose Apricot is hardy to zone 5 but the sweetheart did not live here so I am mixed on believing the other will. I would stick with zone 4 Apricot like Montrose or Chinese if in an area like me. That was zone 5. I just checked Stark Bros and they are claiming I am zone 6A but I don’t believe that for a second.

1 Like

Could be because ‘Hunza’ is a strain and not a single clone. Although some nurseries may be propagating it clonally, there’s no easy way to know if the clone from one nursery is the same as the clone from another nursery. I have a ‘Hunza’ but it was grown from seed. Perhaps some people had conflicting experience in cooler zones because of this.

2 Likes

Yes I only listed the ones they sell here in the US. I live in Georgia now (the state not the country) and have planted Montrose from Burnt Ridge Nursery, SweetHeart from Stark and Precious from One Green World. My Montrose is 3 years old and I hope I get to see some fruit this year but it could be another year before I get to try it.

1 Like

To add to your list would be the ARS apricots Robada, Twocot and Castlecrest.

1 Like