Table grapes in East Texas?

I would like to try and grow some table grapes at my property in East Texas. It gets hot and humid during the summer there. I know usually they do not do good in that type of area but what type would you recommend I try? I have plenty of room so I can experiment and if they don’t grow well it is not a big loss. I have wild muscadine grapes growing everywhere out there that I use for making wine and jelly. The largest vine I have found so far is about as big around at the base as a large coffee can. So I know they will grow in the area just not sure about them producing good table quality grapes.

1 Like

Your best bet is the better quality Muscadines. You can read up on that using the search feature. Some are supposedly really good eating.

There are bunch grapes that you could try. I’d look at the ones developed in FL. Grapes susceptible to pierce disease won’t last long in East Texas.

2 Likes

If you want to grow muscadines, I would recommend Darlene, Sweet Jenny, and Sugargate. Darlene and Sweet Jenny are very large and very sweet bronze. My opinion Darlene is the best bronze. Sweet Jenny not far behind. Sugargate is a black that tastes like a bronze. Very sweet, but medium size. Dearing is an older variety, but is my sweetest. If Dearing was not so small, it would be my favorite. First year fruit on Dearing was nothing special. Subsequent fruiting is superb…little globes of sugar. I am in southeast TX and most of the bunch grapes don’t make 3 months in my yard (pierce disease). The only bunch grape I grow is Victoria Red. It is very good considering it is the only sweet one that we can grow. There are other bunch grapes that can be grown here, but none that sweetens like Victoria Red. The others are good for wine and/or jelly, but not fresh eating. Victoria Red is also @ 80% seedless. It is good, but I wouldn’t trade my muscadines for it. I currently grow or grew many other muscadines, but last year gave most of my blacks to a family member. I only fresh eat them now and they were producing way too many grapes for fresh eating. Only kept the bronzes and sugargate.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I will look around and try to get some new muscidanes started. I have two different types of wild ones that I know of. One ripens early and is smaller and the other one ripens later and is sweeter. I pick enough to make about 20 gallons of wine and jelly then just let the birds and cows eat the rest.

2 Likes

These three are great and the skin is sweet. Supreme, Black Beauty, and Lane.

1 Like

Google search Mortensen grape. I know someone who grew them for years in Houston and claimed it was a really good table grape and had done well for him for a long time. He always said he didn’t understand why no one new about it in Texas. I don’t understand why more people don’t know or grow some of the better pear varieties for down here so it just shows that some stuff for sure slip through the cracks. Also I second (or Third!) the recommendation for Victoria Red. It is highly thought of. I grow it now in Dallas and hope to get fruit next summer. I happen to know that there is another variety that is about to be listed as a Texas Super Star called Valhalla. Supposedly it is an old Munsen Variety but I have not hear much else. Something to look at though. Hope that helps!

Drew

1 Like

Grew mortensen grape years ago. Big green grape. Never got sweet in my yard. Pulled them all up. Mr. Texas said his would not sweeten either. Probably a good wine grape.

1 Like

Good to know my friend in Houston spoke very highly of it. I guess you never know.

1 Like