Table Grapes - What am I doing wrong?

Had a very nice discussion and email exchanges with the ladies at Double A Vineyards, inc this morning. Wow real humans and pleasent ones also. I’ll post pictures of my order when it comes in.

Thanks again all who replied

1 Like

They give great customer service. My vines arrived about 2 weeks ago. They shipped early for me knowing where I live.

They also are one of the few nurseries selling any of the Walker series PD resistant varieties.

1 Like

don’t give them much fertilizer the 1st few years. i did and lost more than hardy grape cultivars because i amended the soil with bloodmeal. they grew great the 1st year but never grew back. i suspect the vine never hardened of before it got cold. my 2 cents.

1 Like

I want to believe the soil where the arbor is, is pretty fertile. It was fenced in as a cow pasture for decades. The PH may be a low, i’ll test it and admend with lime if it is.

Is it accepable to cover the base with straw over winter? Or is it more like peach trees that have tip die back due to fertlizing past the beginning of July?

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I have have this same problem. Two (2/3) of the varieties hardly for my area 6b (and colder 5 ) grew last spring but do not appear to have survived ( based on the other nearby grape growth). I hope I am wrong. On the other hand, two other varieties which were wrongly marketed as for my area, did survive potted in a nonheated garage…

1 Like

I have two unknown 7 or 8yr red table grapes that I inherited with the house, they weren’t trained well and I cut them down to less than three foot in December. In addition, we did some landscape/drainage work in February which removed 80-90% of the roots in the first two foot of soil. One vine has already come back with a dozen new buds and the other is showing a couple of pin sized buds. I didn’t think they would survive the trauma. I’ll post a picture of basal buds coming or out of the trunk just couple of inches from the soil line, its amazing how nature works.

Did you check if they get water logged?

3 Likes

i use woodchips under mine.

3 Likes

We have one concord grape growing on a trellis since 2014. We get a SINGLE bunch of grapes every year but that is all. The vine itself is more than 1 inch thick so obviously it is healthy. But it does not produce.

5 Likes

How are you pruning it?

3 Likes

If your grape vine is 10 years old and only an inch think, I’d say it’s not happy. A healthy grape vine should get that thick in year 2 or 3.

6 Likes

And is it in full sun?

3 Likes

Side note… we lost all but one of my wifes roses. I’m replacing them today. IDK… They bloomed, I cut back the dead. Then a few hard freezes, all the blooms died and the stems turned brown and black. We used to have styrofoam bucket like things you could put over the roses during winter and for unexpected hard spring freezes… But I havnt seen them the stores for a long time.

2 Likes

Agreed, my 2nd yr vine that was in a pot last year transplanted to in ground this year is 1 1/4 inch. I has about 20 nice bunches of grapes after I thinned some out.

I’ve got 2nd leaf peach and pluot that are over 2 inches.

2 Likes

Got my Thompson grape vine this weekend.

I bought this one for the leaves actually. It’s supposed to be an idea leaf for dolmas.

Of course if it survives (PD resistant?), I’ll be happy for the grapes too.

Now…where do I plant it? There is time. It’s in a grow bag for now.

2 Likes

Maybe in pot with tomato trellis until you find a location?

2 Likes

Double A Vineyard $4.00 grape vines, 6 seeded niagara & 6 seeded concord.

5 Likes

When it absolutely must be burned.

3 Likes

I just screenshot this to look it up. Nice attachment.

1 Like

I think that you have a pruning problem. My cousin had the same problem. He cut back “all” the vines to the main trunk. Grapes are produced on the two year old wood. In other words, grapes are grown on last years vines. I cut back all of the vines, leaving 3 buds on each vine. I expect to have 40-50 bunches of grapes on each plant.
If you have not done a soil test, do it. Most basic soil test only cost 25-35 dollars.
Mid-Missouri zone 6b

2 Likes

Limed, planted, caned, sprayed and tubed. Rained last night, so the soil is good and damp. I’ll water & mulch tomorrow.

Double A Vineyards sent me very nice, bare root dormant grape vines with healthy roots. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

8 Likes