Table Grapes - What am I doing wrong?

I’ve tried twice to grow table grapes (Niagara & Concord) They seem to grow fairly well the first season but then die over winter, never to come back. We have wild muscadine grapes scattered about that do well, perhaps too well.

Do I need a specific root? Southern IL USDA zone 7.
Any advise refrences you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 Likes

They should be fine over winter in your area. Where did you get them?

2 Likes

The farm store

2 Likes

The grapes that don’t grow well (weak specimen or deer chomps) during the season died for me. But the ones that did grow well in season all came back. I’m in VA with fairly heavy clay soil.

Stark Bros claim zone 5 (-20F) for the Concord. Hopefully you didn’t get colder than that.

2 Likes

I think I need to order from a nursey. I suspect quaility is low in those farm store varieties. I’m looking for 6 of each Niagara & Concord. Any nursey recommendations?

Thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

Double A Vineyards is very good. Indiana Berry, Isons and Stark Brothers also.

6 Likes

A better alternative to Concord for your area is Sunbelt. It’s almost identical to Concord, but ripens evenly in regions with hot summer temps.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Grapes need well drained soils.

1 Like

Cold hardiness in grapes is dependent on the vine hardening off properly in late summer and fall. Once bud break starts, cold hardiness is rapidly lost. It’s common for young vines to grow late into the season and suffer cold damage if you get a early cold snap or sudden late spring freeze. I would expect them to regrow from the roots, however.

3 Likes

We had a bad cold spell right before Christmas in 2022. Got down to about -2F here on 12/23/2022. Thats about 10 degrees below our average low for a winter. Lost 2 mature Concord vines that winter. One did sprout back from the roots. The opener which is in southern Illinois is about 200-300 miles north of me so it would have been considerably colder there.

2 Likes

Busy season i’m sure… but why say under 20 minutes, not answer, then after 5 hours say back tomorrow? Doesn’t give a good first impression, does it?

1 Like

I noticed that you did not specify as to seeded table or non seeded table. There is a big difference to some folks.

1 Like

Seeded for sure, my wife would be unhappy, if I planted seedless. She calls seedless grow things freaks and wont eat them.

1 Like

What about seedless grapes that have seed remnants in them? :grinning:

She won’t eat bananas?

2 Likes

I’m not getting side tracked. My wife 39 years, love her.

3 Likes

It looks like they have Niagra and Concord in stock. $10 each plus shipping.

2 Likes

Actually hard to beat 6 vines (3) Concord, and (3) Niagara for $24 and they are seeded.

Thanks for replying, i ordered 2x

5 Likes

Concord is very tough grape. It can grow in Chicagoland without problem. Since your grapes had already grow one season without problem, it doesn’t sound like plants had issues. Check the soil to see if it is wet during the dormant season, or something chewed the roots

2 Likes