Table grapes

I planted Hope as well, but I don’t see any flower clusters on it. I suspect that is because I planted it in a place which is a bit shady near the ground, as it is next to the staircase to the deck. Once it gets above 4-5 feet though, it is close to full sun, so I think it will be good soon. It’s already gotten up past that point, so I’m guessing it will fruit next year. I though about putting the above in my initial response, but figured that nobody would care :slightly_smiling:

I planted Neptune because the description sounded good and Double A Vineyards gave it a “slightly susceptible” to black rot. That may not sound good, but it is the best rating they give, as far as I’ve been able to see. Given that I’ve had problems with black rot in the past, I wanted to find something resistant.

Jupiter has been fine on black rot so far, but I’ve only fruited it for 2 years (including the planting year), with it being rated moderately susceptible. I think that the vines which gave me the problems with black rot are Niagra (highly susceptible), which was here when I moved in.

Even with Niagra, one spray of MFF last year (when I was spraying peaches) resulted in more than 35 pounds of mostly usable grapes, while my no-spray average for 3-4 years was approximately one bunch (made of 1 grape from here another 2 from there, etc).

2 Likes

Starkbros does rate Noble muscadine as zone 6-10 and compatible with my area.

In my experience, Starkbros seems to be over-generous in their zone ratings. They sell a lot of persimmons rated zone 6 that just can’t survive here.

3 Likes

For years I seek variety autumn king seedlees grapes but I have never been able to find any nursery that sells this variety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lM885dIX5Y

1 Like

16.5 brix is very low for a grape esp in CA. I can guarantee at that brix the grape will have very little flavor. My greenhouse and outdoor grapes run mostly mid 20s brix.

When they can combine the taste of Summer Muscat with a grape that looks that good, or better yet a dark grape like Summer Royal, then they’ll boast sales dramatically.

1 Like

In ND grape options are limited, but I have had very good luck with Swenson Red, Edelweiss and Valiant. Havent gotten any seedless to grow well unfortunately.

@TheDerek. How do you like Swenson Red vs Valiant? Have you tried Somerset?

Valiant makes intense preserves/jams but its berries are small and the skin is tough for eating fresh. Swenson Red has large berries and is very good fresh, but I havent tried to use it for anything else. Tried sommerset a few years ago and the vines died over the winter. Going to try to them again this spring, ordered some cuttings online that arrived a few days ago. Also trying vanessa and mars seedless. Going to try grafting to one of my edelweiss, probably somerset or vanessa.

1 Like

This year I tried rooting about a dozen grape cuttings. Only ONE survived the elements - and marauding squirrels - keeping alive until now. The squirrels mixed them up, but I believe this is Swenson Red. I got this guy from @SMC_zone6.

5 Likes

I got to try Swenson Red for the first time this year from a second year vine. Mine were more blue than red and pretty small. Maybe that will change with time. They tasted very good. Mine were “kind of” slipskin but the skin was more crisp than Concord types. They had barely a touch of Labrusca flavor and very sweet. Looking forward to more next year. I have Swenson White as well but haven’t got to try those yet. Had lots of Fredonia this year already ripe. Still have Concords , Worden and Early Campbell almost ripe.

1 Like

An update on my single rooted grape cutting from @SMC_zone6 discussed above:

Today we are having a January thaw. The day is overcast and rainy with temps in the 60s, but all the plants are still dormant. Perfect time to excavate my sole successful grape cutting.

Last spring, the cuttings had been placed in an open bin filled with a sand, perlite, and peat mix. Only one rooted.

After much careful sifting, I discovered the root system was fairly respectable in its extent.

I transplanted this guy to a conventional 4-gallon pot, and filled in around it with mix. I was sure to spread out the fragile roots.

The surface growth is still tiny. I’m hoping it takes off like a rocket this spring.

The squirrels mixed up my cuttings, but I believe this grape is Swenson Red.

I decided to hide it in a protected cage until it gets some girth. The squirrel pressure is high here. I don’t want them messing with it.

9 Likes

Great cage! You will like Swenson’s red. It has seeds but they are one of the sweetest grapes I have eaten. They grow very quickly and mine had its first small bunches by year two.

2 Likes

How do you find the taste of Edelweiss? The first grapes i planted was Edel and Valient but the Edel kept dyingback so i let it go.But that was maybe 30 yrs ago and our winters were much colder then. Valient survived fine and made great juice but the black rot is bad with that one. I’ve also considered Swenson Red but wasn’t sure it would be hardy enough.

I’ve had Edelweiss fruit the last two years for me. It is a young vine and hasn’t produced a lot but it tastes very good. It tastes a little like Concord but not as strong. To me it has a light citrus taste, maybe even just a small touch of tropical flavor. It hasn’t grown as fast as Fredonia, Concord or Buffalo, all of which I planted at the same time. I think I read that it flowers a little bit earlier than the others, and I think that is true so far for me. Have you tried King of the North? I might even like them more than Concord and they are supposed to be more cold hardy. They get good brix for me (20). The skins are a little thinner than Concord. They are quite a bit earlier also. What’s the catch? Much smaller berries. Here is a link to a photo of mine one year What fruits did you eat today? - #360 by ztom

2 Likes

Hi Tom,
Yes, I do have a King vine and have grown that one for many years. It ripens well here only in a good year, not on marginal years. This isn’t the best grape growing location. But it makes good juice when ripe. For fresh eating I like Marquette & Prairie Star better and definitely Bluebell (all seeded), though BB is as marginal to ripen as King. Here’s a link to my 2016 post on my grapes: Short Season Grapes. With 2017 update farther down.

King does get some black rot for me, though not as bad as Valiant used to. Plus it is a very vigorous vine and I have a small “vineyard” (6 plants). So I’m planning to replace it with a less vigorous plant. Though I love reading about all the wonderful table grapes folks are growing, for me it’s any grape that will ripen! Except for in situ grazing my grapes go for juice.

1 Like

Update on my Victoria red… This is 3rd leaf. I’ve got a couple dozen clusters starting to color up on 2 vines. No pierces disease so far. These vines are vigorous and productive. Easy to grow. I had some splitting last year and the wasps got into them bad, but overall successful. I did one immunox spray this year and am experimenting with bagging. No black rot yet. I’d highly recommend these for the deep South where PD kills other grapes. They taste just like a store bought table grape but have a couple small seeds. Very sweet when fully ripe.

2 Likes

Just saw your post a couple years ago saying you were trying Lane Muscadine. How did it turn out? Recommend it?

1 Like

I’m pleased with Lane. It grows a little slower than my other varieties but I really like having a pollinator variety that has a good tasting fruit. If I had it to do over and I was going to plant only one vine or one pollinator it would be Lane. The taste factors that I like is that you can eat the whole fruit including the skin. My over all favorite eating variety is Black Beauty (female). Supreme is a high rated female I have but it must be completely ripe to even get close to Black Beauty.

I’m pulling up my victoria red grapes. Fruit is bland and not as good as I can buy in the grocery. When the clusters start to get red they also start to rot. I’m near Houston.

Hi have to tested harvest from Hope, Joy, Gratitude, and Faith?