Table grapes

Hi was your harvest from Neptune, Joy, Gratitude, and Faith? these variety seems interesting!

I havenā€™t gotten all that much due to poor (insufficient) pruning/thinning, rot, and animals.

Netpune- Iā€™ve actually got this pruned well (I think), as a nice column with a few branches at the top. But it has still been completely wiped out by rot for the last few years, even with multiple sprays. Iā€™m replacing it with a jujube this spring as I think it is a pretty good location. There is a little shade in the morning, but hopefully that will go away when a neighbor cuts down a tree they have been talking about for the last 6 months or so.

Joy- I donā€™t remember any issues other than animals with this one (even though it isnā€™t in as good of a spot as the others), so this one seems like the least bad :slight_smile:

Faith- Gets a lot of black rot. But it also grows vigorously and densely, so Iā€™m going to try heavily pruning it this year and see if that helps.

Gratiude- This one is a bit winter tender for me and has dieback. It also grew very dense bunches, which gave me problems when something started damaging it.

Hope- Not bad, now that it has grown tall enough to get to the sun. Reasonably productive, but a lot rotted, even with a decent pruning job. I have some trouble knowing when to pick these.

3 Likes

Morning Everybody, Has anyone got any info on ā€œEverestā€ seedless Concord type grape released not too long ago? Had thought it might be worth a trial here in Georgia, Concord tends to ripen unevenly here due to heat. I am near border of zones 7B/8A my official zone is supposed to be 8A. Any thoughts/opinions/experiences to share? Thanks in advance! Randy/GA

Hi, I grow Hope. She is a slow grower and takes about five years for one really good cluster. Once established she grows very nicely. Not many clusters but sweet and seedless. A very lovely table grape. The growing information is my own based only on my experience. :blush:

1 Like

If it is not listed as resistant to pierceā€™s disease, I wouldnā€™t even consider it.

TFN

I got these spikes all over the trunk of my grape vine. Looks like roots to me. Are they roots? If so, any guess as to why itā€™s pushing out roots all over the trunk?

1 Like

All I can think is possibly too much moisture in those areas, do you irrigate in a way that would make the trunk wet frequently?

2 Likes

Those are aerial roots, pretty common in certain varieties in wet/humid years.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t watered it at all. But itā€™s been a very wet summer so far.

1 Like

My table grapes are just starting to ripen. We started the greenhouse up on April 1st this spring instead of March 1st, so they are all a couple of weeks later this year.
Vanessa a lovely sweet grape with a nice snap when you eat it.

Trollhaugen I think they need a little longer, they are quite sour.

10 Likes

Neat. Do you sell any locally or is this purely for yourself/family? My Jupiter grapes are just starting to go through veraison, definitely later than normal. And yes, fruit set was terrible for them this year.

6 Likes

These are purely for our own enjoyment. I have Trollhaugen, Vanessa, Sommerset seedless an Suffolk seedless (my absolute favourite, but it is not going to be ripe for a few weeks yet).

The Jupiter look like a slightly elongated grape.

2 Likes

my vanessa arent maturing fast, first year i have had berries on themā€¦ hopefully they do something soon!

4 Likes

I just did a search for Vanessa Grape just to see if there was a thread onto which I could post about my own experience with these grapes because this is the first year Iā€™ve gotten fruit from them. Looks like there are lots of people here growing Vanessa (@TheDerek and @northof53 among others!) Of the 6 types of grapes I grow, I think Vanessa may be my very favorite, or at least tied with Pink Reliance.

It took my Vanessa just 3 years to fruit- though it was a large potted vine when I planted it. I couldnā€™t be happier. It seems resistant to black rot, though I did spray Myclo a few times so its hard to know how they would do without spray. My Vanessa arenā€™t my most beautiful grapes. I say that because they are not all the same solid color the way they are in most of the photos I see. Mine have a lot of greenish/white color in them. Those near the top of the vine that get the most sun are the closest to being the solid pink/purple shown in most photos, but even they arenā€™t all uniformly colored. But this is a very very minor issue. Taste is what matters, and these guys taste GREAT. They taste the most like the kind of red grapes you buy in the grocery store. Normally saying something tastes like a grocery store fruit is an insult, but in the case of table grapes I happen to like most good grocery store varieties and Vanessa could be one of them (except for the color). They are very sweet and taste great. Iā€™ve read some folks say they have thick skin but I disagree. My slip-skin grapes like concord and Catawba have THICK and, for me, inedible skin ( like to just pop the inside of those out and dispose of the skin!) . Vanessa skin, to me, is fairly thin and just a tiny bit tart which is perfect for me.

Anyway, Iā€™m just excited about this new (to me) grape and wanted to tell everyone what I think about itā€¦ I look forward to hearing from Derek and Ursula and how they like Vanessa. To others, I think you should give it a try.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info cityman, ive heard good things about vanessa also! I really like a firm/crunchy sweet seedless grape, and they are often hard to find, even in the stores. I did a bunch of leaf thinning last night so my reliance and vanessa get more direct sun, hopefully this will help them mature faster. Im going to have a good crop of both of these varieties on the few vines I have. Im a little worried because a local guy told me his valiant grapes have fungus this year. I have never had fungus or disease on my grapes EVER before, so I decided to check mine also. Unfortunately it looks like mine are sick this year also, but only on the grapes that are sheltered/hidden by the vinesā€¦ Is it too late to treat these? Will they still be usable?

2 Likes

I have never had fungus or mold, but then mine are in an open hoop greenhouse with the sides always up so the air circulation is good. I also trim back excessive vegetation when the grapes are small. I trim off redundant leaves and long sprouts that would shade the developing grapes. I end up with a pile of grape trimmings and after the first time I panicked and thought I had killed them but they are doing just fine.

My Vanessa grapes are not uniform in colour either, they are red where the sun and light get to them, but greenish on the backside. I find if I donā€™t pick them too early more and more seem to be sweeter rather than a little sour. I donā€™t find the skin thick either, and they are beautifully sweet and snappy. This grape is certainly worth growing. As for Trollhaugen, I will give it another year, it is a dark purple, slip skin seedless but I find it lacks the snappy freshness of Vanessa , and mine do not have as good flavour.
My all time favourite is Suffolk Seedless, it is sweeter and grapier(not sure if that is even a word) in flavour than Vanessa. I like having the two varieties however, as Vannessa is at her peak and Suffolk Seedless is just getting going. It certainly extends the fresh grape eating season.

4 Likes

Looks like you have a combo platter of black rot and powdery. Too late to treat really but the good news is the non-infected clusters should be immune to powdery and probably black rot (6-8 weeks after bloom). Those infected clusters would serve as innoculum for next year if you leave them or drop them on the ground below the vines (row center should be ok).

1 Like

Picking up a little steam now.

5 Likes

I am new to this Fruit Growing forum and are looking for Persimmon seeds, especially the Soiji.

Do you sell seeds from your Soiji Persimmon tree?

Best regards

Angelica

1 Like

I havenā€™t tasted Vanessa yet but my Jupiterā€™s are big and the taste and texture are exactly like the grocery store (in a good way!)

1 Like