Talking about tomatoes

Many here know that I have a small business selling tomato seedlings. I also have grown literally thousands of different varieties of tomatoes over the years. I thought it might be interesting to have a thread discussing tomatoes and their flavors. It is time to start seed for many of us so this should be timely.

There are 4 different kinds of people when it comes to tomato flavors. Sweet, Tart, Rich Acidic, and Balanced. We all have slightly different taste buds and personal preferences which is reflected in these types.

If you are a sweet tomato lover, you most likely also enjoy very sweet apples and high brix peaches. Try Sungold, Hibor, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Omar’s Lebanese, and Momotaro for a hybrid.

Are you a lemon sucker? My daughter is a lemon sucker, she will lick a slice of lemon like candy. It is okay to be a lemon sucker, but if you are, tomatoes are going to be a problem. Jaune Flammee, Green Zebra, and Goose Creek are your most likely candidates.

Want that old fashioned rich acidic tomato taste where you bite into a tomato fresh off the vine and the juice runs down your chin while the flavor sets off fireworks in your mouth? It is very hard to beat the old fashioned indeterminate Rutgers for this flavor. Grow Box Car Willie, Druzba, Lynnwood, and Neves Azorean Red to titillate your tonsils if this is your taste profile.

What about balanced? I am a “balanced” tomato taster. I like a bit of sweet, a bit of tart, and a rich tomato flavor. For the balanced tomato lover, Andrew Rahart’s Jumbo Red, Daniels, Brandywine, Stump of the World, Kelloggs Breakfast, Cherokee Purple, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, Aunt Ruby’s German Green, and Dester hit the mark. They are also a range of colors with Red, Pink, Black, Green, and Orange.

What about the best hybrid tomatoes? Big Beef is very hard to beat. It has flavor, production, and reasonably good disease tolerance. Amelia is a good tomato if you have problems with Tomato Spotted Wilt. Ramapo is an excellent tomato, especially across the Midwest. Sungold and Momotaro mentioned above are hybrids. In California, Early Girl does very well with the hot dry climate.

Want to grow a giant? Big Zac is arguably the biggest. Giant Belgium can throw 2 to 3 pounders that taste pretty good. Mortgage Lifter, Estler’s Mortgage Lifter and Red Mortgage Lifter can tip the scale above 2 pounds.

Want a bicolor? A good flavored bicolor? Lucky Cross, Blush, and Little Lucky are very good. Hillbilly and Burracker’s Favorite are decent. Big Rainbow, Old Virginia, and Virginia Sweets imo are too mushy but some people like them that way.

I want the earliest ripe tomato in my neighborhood! Grow Bloody Butcher, Stupice, or Kimberley. Many cherry tomatoes are also very early. Gregori’s Altai and Sasha’s Altai qualify as very early beefsteak tomatoes.

Want to can some tomatoes to have that “summertime in a jar” flavor? Picardy, Eva Purple Ball, and Heinz 1350 are good for the purpose. Druzba and Muleteam are larger tomatoes that have to be cut to get them in a jar, but they are very good canners.

Want killer sauce or paste? Heidi and Costoluto Genovese are hard to beat. Martino’s Roma, Christopher Columbus, Borgo Cellano, and Bisignano #2 are also good for the purpose.

Dried tomatoes anyone? Costoluto Genovese, Borgo Cellano, Principe Borghese, and most of the heart shaped tomatoes with good flavor make decent dried tomatoes. Get a good dehydrator and learn to pack dried tomatoes in oil!

I want to grow a rainbow of tomato colors and flavors, what should I get? Grow Box Car Willie or Druzba for red, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Jaune Flammee, or KBX for orange. Aunt Ruby’s German Green or Cherokee Green are outstanding green when ripe tomatoes. Black From Tula, Black Krim, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, Cherokee Purple, and Cherokee Chocolate will get you a black/red tomato. Yoder’s German Yellow or Nebraska Wedding are superb yellows. Brandywine Sudduth, Daniels, Stump of the World, Eva Purple Ball, and Omar’s Lebanese are good pinks. Sutton White and White Oxheart are decent white varieties.

Want to make your neighbors green with envy and covered in candy stripes? Grow Red Zebra, Green Zebra, Pink Bumblebee, or Vintage Wine for excellent tomatoes with diverse flavors.

Cherry? Did you say cherry? Here is a handful of colors and flavors. Camp Joy, Black Cherry, Sungold, Galina’s, Green Grape, and Dr. Carolyn Pink will tickle your fancy.

What about the most productive tomatoes? If you want the highest production and the best flavor, it will be hard to beat Big Beef. It has won awards for the last 25 years for total production. Open pollinated varieties that can crank out the fruit include Red Brandywine, Box Car Willie, Druzba, Lynnwood, Eva Purple Ball, and Costoluto Genovese.

Need some heat tolerance? Bella Rossa is a hybrid that is increasingly grown in the deep south. Tropic and Creole are good open pollinated varieties.

I only have a patio and have to grow tomatoes in containers. What should I grow? Dwarf or Determinate varieties are your friend. Russian Red, Perth Pride, Heinz 1350, Martino’s Roma, Homestead, Siberian, and many others can work in containers.

There is one flavor category that I rarely talk about. It is Sour. As in dirty socks sour. Smoky Mountain Red is the only tomato that I grow that has both sour flavor and dirty socks smell. Silvery Fir Tree is sour and mostly flavorless IMO, but it does not have the dirty socks smell of Smoky Mountain Red.

44 Likes

Great info
Thanks

Which ones are the most resistant to leaf blight, no spray ?
( paste type, and table slicers )

1 Like

You will have a hard time getting good resistance to fungal leaf diseases in anything available today. Septoria, Early Blight, Gray Mold, and Late Blight are endemic. There are a few varieties that can put up with it longer than most. Iron Lady is touted as septoria tolerant. My experience is that it goes down just about the same as most others.

In my experience, Burgundy Traveler and a stabilized line I made from a cross of Big Beef X Eva Purple Ball (BBXEPB) along with Tropic come the closest to having good leaf disease tolerance. Randy Gardner at NCSU has done a lot of work on the Mountain series of tomatoes. Some of his recent releases do very well. Heidi and Martino’s Roma are arguably the best paste varieties for handling foliage diseases.

3 Likes

Great to see Rutgers make your Hit Parade. My family saved seed and grew it for decades. I read somewhere that it has been modified over the years and isn’t the original now. Some places just list it as a canner so people may overlook it as a slicer. Fabulous list you posted, a quick course in varieties in one spot.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Kellogg’s Breakfast but the production lacked a bit for me. If I had a little more space, it would be a mainstay in the garden instead of being on the rotation. As a fan of a balanced tomato, Cherokee Purple checks all of the boxes. Last year I grew a few aptly named, Pineapple tomatoes. The variety of flavors you can find in tomatoes is pretty incredible. Thanks for sharing your list.

2 Likes

Nice list. I have grown a few from your list, Aunt Ruby’s German Green is a very good green when ripe, has a zesty sweet flavor. Jaune Flammé is a good producer of tangy golf ball orange orbs. I agree about Boxcar Willie, lots of tomatoes from each plant.

I tried Costoluto Genovese a couple years, couldn’t get a lot of production out of them. Plus, I found the fluted shape made them difficult for processing.

I tried regular leaf Black Brandywine again last year, it was a very good producer, compared to the other BW’s I’ve tried, which were potato leafed. It’s also been the most disease resistant dark tomato I’ve grown.

1 Like

We’re far enough north that not everything works. There is also a high level of late blight around. Many of the brandy wines don’t make it to production. We often get wet summers and tasty things like Black Krim crack and mold.

Overall, the best taste with reliable production I grow is Mennonite Orange. It’s a hard one to get since it’s almost all flesh with very few seeds. I baby every single plant I can get my hands on.

Assorted cherries do well with one standout called " that sweet yellow" Only one local nursery ever has it and they can be a bit difficult about growing but all the production gets carefully divided amount the household and eaten warm from the vine.

Lucid Gem is my biggest single one so far, with one just over 2 pounds.

I decided to update this thread with varieties of pepper and tomato seed started. This will be done in tray sequence. I have a few trays dedicated to a single variety such as Big Beef tomato and Orange Bell pepper. This post is for about half the seed I will start for the season. I still have to put in at least a dozen more trays of tomato and at least 1 more pepper.

Akers West Virginia, Anna Russian, Atkinson, Aunt Ruby’s German Green, Bear Creek, Bell Star, BBXEPB, Big Zac, Black From Tula PL, Black Krim, Bloody Butcher, Box Car Willie, Brandywine OTV, Brandywine Red, Brandywine Sudduth, Burgundy Traveler, Calvins Green, Cherokee Purple

Costoluto Genovese, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Daniels, Dora, Dr. Wyche, Druzba, Eva Purple Ball, Fried Green Tomato, Gary’O Sena, German Red Strawberry, Goose Creek, Green Zebra, Heidi, Hillbilly, Indian Stripe, Kelloggs Breakfast, Jaune Flammee, J.D.'s Special C-Tex

Lillian’s Yellow, Little Lucky, Liz Birt, Lucky Cross, Lynnwood, Marianna’s Peace, Martino’s Roma, Estlers Mortgage Lifter, Muleteam, Nebraska Wedding, Neves Azorean Red, Omar’s Lebanese, Orangina, Perth Pride, Picardy, Piennolo, Red Zebra, San Marzano

Smoky Mountain Red, Stump of the World, Tastiheart, Tropic, Ukrainian Heart, Wisconsin 55, Wisconsin 55 Gold, Yellow Brandywine Plat, Yoders German Yellow, Anait, Black Cherry, Black Krim Cherry, Blueberry Sugar, Blush, Camp Joy, Dr. Carolyn Pink, Hibor, Sungold

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Bhut Jolokia, Aconcagua, Aji Amarillo, Aji Jobito, Alma Paprika, Anaheim, Ancho Gigiantea, Big Bertha, Carlo Putini, Carolina Reaper, Cayenne, Caribbean Red Habanero, Cowhorn, Chapeau de Frade, Cubanelle, Hot Banana, Poblano

Chinese 5 Color, Chinese Giant, Chorichero, Craigs Purple Hot, Craigs mini Red Bell, Craigs Yellow Orange, Cristal, Espelette, Fatalli, Feher Ozon, Fish, Fooled You, Gernik, Golden Marconi, Griller, Habanero, Habanero Chocolate, Hot Apple Hungarian

Jalapeno, Jalapeno Gigantea, Jimmy Nardello, Lemme’s Italian, Lilac Bell, Little Bells, Little Bells, Mulatto Isleno, Numex Big Jim, Numex Chili, Pasilla, Pepperoncini, Pequin, Pimiento, Poblano, Purple Cayenne, Purple Marconi, Purple Robe

Purple Jalapeno, Purple Serrano, Red Irish Sweet, Relleno, Serrano, Stocky Red Roaster, Super Heavyweight, Sweet Banana, Sweet Chocolate Bell, Tabasco, Tahiti Sunset, Tam Jalapeno, Tepin, Thai Dragon, Thai Hot, Tobago Seasoning, Winnie The Pooh, Zavory

7 Likes

Chefs Choice is our number one tomato along with Super Fantastic, both perform extremely well in our short season and cooler climate. Every year I try a couple more varieties and so far many have been crossed off my list as ho-hum. Any of the early producing tomatoes such as Early Girl have traded ‘earliness’ for flavour IMHO.

This year I have added the Costoluto Genovese and Thorburn’s Terra Cotta.

I was looking at fusion’s list for old fashioned rich acidic tomatoes, which reflects our preference, Box Car Willie did not perform well but I think I will give Druzba and Neves AR a try.

Anybody ever grow Old Brooks? Am looking for a disease resistant variety with a nice acid bite, not sweet.

Old Brooks is decent. Akers West Virginia would probably be closer to what you are asking.

1 Like

withdrawn

Nice list of varieties. I"ve been growing a few heirlooms in containers for a number of years in my unheated greenhouse and wind up giving away extras that i start from seed. I only keep about a dozen plants for myself. My largest was a Mortgage Lifter at 2 pounds 11 ounces. Last year it was Mortgage Lifter, kelloggs breakfast, paul robeson, cosmonaut volkov, red brandywine, and a few hybrids. This year im trying Neves Azorean Red, Black Sea Man, Legend. Rutgers, Red Brandywine, Paul Robeson. I’ve been drying them in my dehydrator and like the results. A few peppers too like Big Jim, Manzano, and Aleppo for the first time.

1 Like

What do you think of the Paul Robeson?
I really liked it.

I liked it and plan to grow another this year as well as a Black Sea Man. The Paul Robeson was the earliest to ripen of the several heirlooms i grew. Good form, flavor and production.

1 Like

Cool! I need to find some varieties that are more disease resistant.
I don’t have room to rotate crops and I’m afraid the microbes have gotten the upper hand.
Though I have torn out my raised beds, removed the soil and plan to rebuild.

I’m doing a Legend this year that is supposed to have good blight resistance. I container my tomatoes and have been using new bagged potting soil with some additives like lime. I mulch and prune while watering from below. Good luck with my diseases and virtually no BER.

This is an awesome thread, I don’t know how I missed it when it was first posted. I try to plant a few new varieties each year. I think I will pick some from your suggested list @Fusion_power to try this year. Thanks for posting it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can not seem to find any information on Hibor… was that a typo or can you tell me where I can find these seeds?

Hibor = High Brix Orange pear is a small pear shaped tomato that was given to me by a beekeeper friend about 10 years ago. It looks almost identical to Yellow Pear, just in an orange fruit. The color is from beta Carotene which is a different gene than Tangerine which is present in most other orange tomatoes such as Kelloggs Breakfast. Hibor will brix about 12 which is as sweet as and sometimes a bit sweeter than Sungold. I am not aware of a source for Hibor at this time though I sent seed to Glenn Drowns at Sandhill Preservation. If he can get a crop of seed, he will list it next year. Meantime, I have a few thousand seed saved this year and can send you a small pack if you PM your address.

5 Likes