Tam Kam Persimmon Zone 6a

I planted Tam Kam Persimmon, which I thought was supposed to be suitable for zone 6a, fall of 21.

Unfortunately it died back, which I attributed to it having been heavily pruned before shipping and prior to it being dormant.

Fortunately, the roots survived and it sent out new growth from the base of the graft allowing me a new central leader of about 2’ tall and 3/8" thick for the year 22’.

Now, the -new- leader is dead again, spring 23’

The winter was not especially cold, and it is located at the top of a slope so cold air isn’t pooling around it.

What is going on here… possibly mislabeled variety?

How cold did it get and when?

EDIT - one day reached negative 4 degrees. Then there were a few in the +10s-15s

Just about any persimmon should survive those temperatures, assuming it’s dormant. So as far as I can see, the issue is not about names.

Correction, I just looked through weather archive and there was one day that received a negative temp (-4) degrees, and then a couple days in the 10s-15s spread over the winter.

OK, then mislabeling is a possibility.

But other possibilities seem at least equally likely. One is the possibility that Tam Kim has been over-hyped and isn’t as cold-hardy as advertised. Another is the possibility that Tam Kim is as cold-hardy as advertised but not until the tree is more established and mature. My Ichi Ki Kei Jiros suffered severe damage in the first 2 years but none thereafter.

1 Like

I seriously doubt TamKam is hardy to zone 6a. It is a marketing ploy than anything else, IMO. I grafted Tam Kam on an existing tree in ground. It grew very well that year. The next year it did not survive a typical New England winter.

When you grafted tree died to the base of the tree, the chance that what has grown out of it is not likely to be the grafted variety.

1 Like

Thanks

I don’t have high hopes considering its short history. Maybe i will pot it and keep it very small and inside during the winter. I do believe it is the grafted variety, though, as it sent new growth very close to, but above, the graft line, (not quite to the very base ) this link to photos from last years growth Determine Rootstock vs Graft Growth on Persimmon (thread about gwang yang but similar growth on tam kam )

@BobVance grows Tam Kam in ground. He is in zone 6b/7a, about a zone warmer.

@tonyOmahaz5 grows Tam Kam in pots in his zone 5.

I have Tam Kam scionwood. This year, it will be grafted to a potted tree.

1 Like

I have a Tam Kam in ground in 6b Virginia. Slow grower, but have not had any die back. 3rd year in ground.

1 Like

Tam Kam is not hardy in 6a without precaution in my experience…I have had a couple potted for several years and mulch them heavily in a very sheltered area against our home. I occasionally still get a little bit of die off on the smallest most external branches.

1 Like