Taylor's Gold vs Russet Comice

Excellent nil, that’s what I wanted to know. They’re probably not allowed to advertise it as Taylors Gold for retail because of the trademark or something.

1 Like

The only 3 pears I really like for sure are Bosc, Seckel, and Comice. I read that rainy weather improves russeting, so I went with Russet Comice. I also like russet fruit for some reason. Now that I know Seckel will do well, I will probably graft it. I wonder it there is a good russet sport of Seckel.
I am also thinking about Conference and Honey Sweet pears, but I have not checked the University of Washington bloom data. I don’t know how long the bloom period is for pears, and whether Conference and Honey Sweet will overlap. I am pretty sure Seckel, Bosc, and Comice are good partners.

nil, I like your taste in pears.

Honey Sweet gets described like Seckel but bigger and maybe easier.

I’ve been intrigued by Conference. I don’t think I’ve tasted it. I think I had scion wood for it before but don’t know if it is actually growing at my place. Maybe I tried to graft it to the aronia. I think I have Shipova and Ayers growing on Aronia, and one more, maybe Conference.

Edit: I just checked the aronia grafted experiments. They have Ayers, Conference, Honey Sweet (tape and sharpie label only), and an unlabeled that may be a duplicate. Also have two Shipova grafts. The graft unions are comical. I’ll post a couple of pictures once they’ve uploaded.

3 Likes

Almost looks like the graft union on my Nanaimo peach on Prunus americana.

Hi Justin, has your Nanaimo fruited yet? If so, when does it ripen and how did you like it? I have a small Nanaimo on Prunus Americana also, but looks fairly balanced above & below the graft as the silly thing has hardly grown yet (this was its second summer.)

It is just a 21" maiden whip with 18" of new growth. I may keep it as a container tree to boost the GDD a bit. I hope it flowers next year, but I am not expecting it to. The wild plum seems to be very dwarfing.

1 Like

I just picked these up. They need a day or two on the counter, but they are Comice. Good flavor, and an aroma that lingers in the mouth and throat.

5 Likes

Thanks…I always learn so much from this site!!
Gary Moulton’s recommendation means a lot here (close to the Mt. Vernon testing station).
So I just added Taylor’s Gold to my GRIN order… to bark graft over Comice, which is delicious but so scab prone that the convoluted fruit is a disaster.
Hoping Taylor Gold’s russeting means it’s less scab prone.
Thanks for the archived article.

2 Likes

(Is GRIN open for business this winter?)

Yes. I started my order list Sept 12th.
Not sure of cutoff date.

1 Like

I think we established, perhaps in a different thread, that the “Russet Comice” sold by Raintree is Taylor’s Gold. Russet Comice European Pear — Raintree Nursery

1 Like