Tennosui Hybrid pear

They are sizing up.

18 Likes

Nice tree and pears. When do you anticipate them to ripen?

It ripen around the first week of September last year.

1 Like

Thanks

Tenn has flowers this year. Wish me luck!

3 Likes

Tennosui pear definitely tasted mixed between Asian and European pear. Crunchy. Sweet tangy taste with reasonable amount of juice. No grits.

Tony

9 Likes

Which pear tree are you using for cross-pollination, please?

I grafted some Shinko Asian pear to my Tennosui tree and I think the Shinko pollinated it. I think any Asian pear should be able to pollinated it.

Tony

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 Maybe there is two different pears going around as Tennosui, the one @coolmantoole has sounds like it’s a ‘flowering group number 6 (Pollination group F)’ variety, blooming later than most other pears.

1 Like

It’s also quite possible that Tennosui is self pollinating. Many hybrid and Asian pears are. I may find out this year. Fireblight killed my Scarlet which doesn’t seem to be very resistant at all. And my Savannah pear, still young and super slow maturing, isn’t going to bloom this year.

2 Likes

According to my local nursery (and it’s a fruit/veg lover’s nursery, highly recommended by the local CRFG members too), Tennosui IS self-fertile. I bought one last year and it’s the only pear I have. The tree is small though so we’ll see what happens.

Btw they also told me about “Southern King” as a new variety that’s a hybrid and that’s supposed to be very good, especially for low chill locations like Southern California (where I am based). Though folks are still trying this pear apparently.

1 Like

About how tall and wide is your Tennosui, and what rootstock is it grafted to? I have one on OHxF333 about to be planted. Thanks!