Testing a few strawberry varieties for leaf disease resistance

After losing 90%+ of my strawberry bed last year to leaf spot and fungus I decided to try out a few varieties that were listed as being resistant or at least tolerant. I picked Earliglow, Honeoye, and Jewel and planted the bed in equal thirds. I ran drip irrigation throughout the bed while it was empty last winter and water for 30 minutes twice weekly. I chose not to renovate the bed this year and this is how they look today. Earliglow is easily the healthiest looking section, followed by Honeoye, with Jewel being the worst. I hate to see the Jewel doing so poorly because they produced berries that were roughly twice the size of the other two varieties. I know I’ll likely have to take up spraying Captan regularly but I was hoping to find a variety with enough resistance to avoid it. Any suggestions on a variety to try in the Jewel section for next year?

4 Likes

Very nice looking test beds…!!

2 Likes

my mara des bois has some leaf spot but i was surprised that my AC wendy has it so bad. i too may go back to earliglow and sparkle, which is another later season disease free berry. notice both are heirloom varieties. :wink: i hate having to spray strawberries. my older evie2 are fairly clean as well if i can keep the damned stinkbugs out of them.

2 Likes

Thanks, I put a fair amount of work into giving them all a fair shake. After looking at the picture again it looks like Honeoye has more brown in it than the Jewel but it’s because the Jewel started dying off a few weeks ago and quite a few of the plants are already dried up a crispy. If I wasn’t trying to expand the harvest window I’d just replant the whole bed in Earliglow. I’ll clear all the dead out when it cools off a bit (high of 98 this weekend) and it will make the difference more visible.

2 Likes