Text formatting tools

Among the tools to format the text in a post, I remember there was the strike-through formatting option. It comes handy for updating various lists such as a trade/exchange list, to cross off some items. I also have seen this formatting used recently in other people’s posts. However, now I want to use this formatting to edit one of my posts, and I just cannot find it. I see the bold and emphasize (italic) formatting options but not the strike-through one. Did it disappear or am I loosing my memory? Or is it available only to some categories of members?

4 Likes

You can’t can do it! But you need to hand code it in I think. I’ll add spaces so hopefully it will show, but take those out.
When you want to start the strike through, put in a: < s >
And when you want it to end, put in a: < /s >

You should see the results in the preview window on the right as you edit.

Did that work for you?

9 Likes

It’s been decades since I used many HTML codes. Here are some HTML codes that might work:
use < > and </ > at beginning and end with letters “b” or “i” or “mark” or “s” between the <> and </> marks
bold
italics
mark
delete

7 Likes

Thanks, it does work! I know this method from old days of using HTML, and most likely I have used it in my posts on this forum in the past, but forgot about it. Thank you for the reminder!

3 Likes

Some of the html tags aren’t well supported in Discourse. They actually have a built-in markup language called Markdown, which you can read about here:

You can do some HTML for sure, but markdown is pretty quick once you learn it. For example, strikethrough is just two tildes (~~) on either side of your text, ‘*’ is for Italics, ‘**’ for Bold, etc. If you click on the buttons, you’ll see they’re inserting the markdown signifiers for you.

7 Likes

Yes I used the two tildes last year. Very handy.

3 Likes