The 39th Parallel Nursery and Orchard!

New (to me) this spring, root stocks either came from Mike or Cummins. The grafts took easily and put on good growth. Hope to plant them out this fall or next spring.

1 Like

It may not be a problem, I think the days getting shorter, sooner up here triggers ripening. We’ll see !

3 Likes

Correct the seeds were from Michigan wild apples. I’m told there are other seedlings in the wild that are similar genetics but not as heavy fruiting.

1 Like

Mike from @39thparallel stopped by today. That guy knows how to grow apples. He said traffic on my road was fairly heavy. He sent me this picture of the heavy traffic. Most people figure my roads are the type you don’t drive down unless you have to. Noone worries about a few cows getting out around here.

He came to help me out with some things today and left me some apples. The Arkansas Black’s are good looking apples. Requested these because of their keeping abilities. Flavor is very good after they store until they are ready to eat.

He left me a box of Roxbury russet as well. Delicious apple with a reputation as one of the very best. It’s an apple with a personality!

21 Likes

I always enjoy visiting @clarkinks. It’s the Wild West out where he lives. He has an amazing abundance of fruit thriving there. He literally has to brush hog paths through the fruit to get around the property. The best working example of a food forest I have seen.

12 Likes

I’ve encountered just about everything on these back roads and the woods in this area are full of surprises. See if you can figure out what these are. Mike at least it wasn’t a big herd today. They can damage a vehicle pretty bad then Noone knows who’s cows they are. A bull charged me in my backyard one night but I jumped out of the way. The next day I had words with the owner and the bull was gone that night. If it’s a lose herd of cows I don’t worry to much about it unless they are causing damage.

7 Likes

Seems like your neighbors have an overflowing abundance of livestock like you do fruit. I also had to stop for flocks of domestic turkey and genie.

2 Likes

Goats and peacocks are common as well.

3 Likes

I am curious about the Red Cinnamon apple. I almost ordered scion from you several years, but haven’t done it, as I couldn’t wrap my mind around a cinnamon flavored apple. I am not sure why - cinnamon spice and apples make the best desserts!

Would you say you get the cinnamon flavor in the flesh and skin both? or just the flesh? What is the average size of the apples at harvest? Thanks!

2 Likes

They are fair sized apples averaging around 2.5" They really do have a distinct cinnamon flavor and sent. The variety is apparently rare. I acquired it from singing tree. I should write him and ask about it and some other rare stuff he has. There is another better known variety called Cinnamon Spice. Starks claims Cinnamon Spice taste like Cinnamon but IMO, it is not a prominent flavor like with Red Cinnamon. .

9 Likes

I need to get a Red Cinnamon apple tree. I want to get an entire tree growing in my orchard.

1 Like

@MikeC

The taste of cinnamon will be more prominent some years than others. The cinnamon like flavor was easy to identify this year at the @39thparallel orchard. Probably don’t need to mention where I ate these apples as they are very rare.

2 Likes

You will be able to order will be able to order Scion from my site: https://39thparallel.com/. I am working on apple sion list and will open it up to sales soon. I’m out or Red Cinnamon 1 year trees but, will let you know if one becomes available. I usually keep some extras to cover any losses over the winter.

4 Likes

Is the cinnamon apple hardy in 4a?

1 Like

I have both Cinnamon Spice and Red Cinnamon growing here in my Zone 4a and have had no winter injury. My trees are young and not fruiting yet. Cinnamon Spice on G.222 and MM.106 and Red Cinnamon on G.890.

4 Likes

Sounds like one to try.

1 Like

Is your honey pear the dripping honey Asian pear? Thanks!

1 Like

@AndySmith Richard Fahey grows Red Cinnamon in Oxford, NY 5a They both ripen towards the end of the main apple season. About the same time as Golden Delicious. Cinnamon Spice ripens a week before Red Cinnamon. I would guess 4a should give them just enough time to ripen most years.

2 Likes

Yes. Gurneys Trademarked “Dripping Honey” but never successfully got a Patent .

4 Likes

I’ll be adding it to my scion list this year!
Just when I think I don’t need to add any more…
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes