The bagging starts

Smaler fruit like these donut peaches and plums got the long bread bag treatment.

2 Likes

Euro plum bagging per branch.

2 Likes

Those long bread bags are the best option I have seen for bagging plums. Also looks like it can be done quickly.

1 Like

Bill,
I keep my fingers crossed. The only issue I am worried about is brown rot. Sofar, moisture evapolates fairly well inside the bags. We’ll see.2-3 more months to go.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried bagging cantaloupe to try to stop pickle worms? They are destroying what was a really nice melon crop for me. Yesterday I bagged the few unaffected fruits that were left with one gallon zip loc bags just like an apple. I’m curious if anyone else has tried it. I’ve sprayed Bt twice before they were into the fruits because I could see some damage to the flowers and new growth, but that did not knock them out.

3 Likes

OMG even the PC are catching on to our ‘saving fruit’ tricks. Horrible! Really hate them. Cannot wait to spray again tomorrow. No rain now for two days. Will definitely use a sticker!!!

2 Likes

The birds and varmits love my bags.

2 Likes

Mrs. G.,
Can you spray? It has been windy thse past few days. Too windy for my liking. I like to spray when it is below 10 mph. This is closer to 20.

1 Like

Bob,
Since a red color seems to attract birds, I am planning to try different color that are least attractive to bird, anything but red, orange or yellow. So far, I have used green and white. I want to try black next.

1 Like

I have a variety of colors. Will see what happens

1 Like

Hi Mam, no too much wind I’ll try tomorrow morning! Read about your visit. How great, and next you’re coming here! Yay! I have to spray before I net. Has to be tomorrow.

1 Like

I check a wind factor. Looks like about 5-7 am is when the wind is at its weakest around 7-8 mph. Tomorrow morning is OK, Wed morning at about the same time seems even better @6 mph. Fortunately, I am an early riser.

I will see you in person in early July. Can’t wait. Thanks for the invite.

1 Like

The bags get condensation in them, but with those ventilation holes, there shouldn’t be so much. It’s amazing how much rain can get into a bag

2 Likes

Mrs. g.

I did my Indar spray this morning. Wind is about 10 mph but there was a few moments of calmness. We’ll see how my peaches will turn out. I have to spray the bags. No way I would unbag them. Not sure if Indar would offer any protection.

1 Like

My bags also get water in them and a few hold moisture after the rains. It has had little effect on my apples and pears but as I attempt bagging peaches I think they are going to need to dry out faster.

2 Likes

I only sprayed 8 trees today. Will finish tomorrow. I am hoping that Indar is stronger than Immunox. Bagged my black peach tree today as the squirrels got six of them. My Elberta peach is going crazy this year and is so full of peaches. I know the peach fanciers on this site will disagree, but they surely taste mighty fine to me!

4 Likes

Mrs.G.,
How many more soray you need to spray before your peaches are safe. Where I am I have seen OFM damage all the way to Sept.

That’s why I bag. Otherwise, it will be too many spray to my liking.

2 Likes

I only spray once a month or every 3 weeks. So far little damage: last year the squirrels ripped every baggie off of my apples and pears, ate every piece of fruit I had. Now I’m really after the squirrels! I have ninja squirrels!

1 Like

Well decided to take a look inside on my PF-5B… I’m liking the results!!

5 Likes

4 Likes