The bane is a boon?

http://www.startjuno.com/news/read/category/News/hashtag/News/article/the_associated_press-loud_and_lowcarb_cicadas_are_back_in_ohio_west_vir-ap

1 Like

Cicada linguine :yum:

often pan-toasted in the tropics as a street food delicacy, but not as ā€˜finely agedā€™ as our 17-year old vintage. Hands-down the longest lived of cicadas.

Upon emergence, I believe our cicada adults are only a week old?

much like certain annual beans/gourds. You could have a 20 year old seed, but it will only live a year or so as a metabolically active organism once it germinates
cicadas are in a way similar, only difference is that they have hatched 17 years ago and have been metabolically active since.

so 17 years ago, billions of nymphs hatchedā€¦

I hope those cicada donā€™t do to your orchards what they did to mine last year. We are still paying 17 year cicada's woke up hungry

1 Like

ā€œNatural pruningā€? My 2nd leaf trees donā€™t need natural pruning. Iā€™ll take care of that myself. Iā€™m right smack dab in the middle of this brood. Iā€™ll start wrapping my trees this week.

1 Like

definitely not something to take lightly and was never the intention. While admittedly impressed with the longevity of this insect, i am skeptical about the ohio post about it being ā€˜welcomeā€™. That author apparently has no experience with fruit growing.
in the mojave desert, we have these 13 yr old ā€˜spring chickensā€™ which annoyingly make their marks, sometimes lethal to the branch when done concentrically. It was actually one proof that jujubeā€™s donā€™t always get productive with girdlingā€“if done in low humidity!

1 Like