The best Asian Pears

I like it a lot too but unfortunately, it’s FB susceptible in my yard. It came as one of
varieties on the 4-in-1 tree but it’s now covering less than 5% on the entire tree.

1 Like

Korean Giant? Yes, different climate yields different results.

That’s why people should pay more attention to recommendations from the growers near them.

4 Likes

Sorry, I must have selected the wrong “reply” button. I meant Seigyoku brought up by Vincent.

2 Likes

The response would still be the same:
Location, location, location :smile:

2 Likes

These Shinko are top rated here in my CLIMATE Z5. SO SWEET and JUICY!!!

Tony

17 Likes

Today we picked up Hosui and Shinseiki from a local orchard. Both were very good. I am excited to try out Shinko. The orchard has their target date as 9/26 for that variety.

So far next year I am adding the following:

(2) Hosui
(2) Shinseiki
(1) Shinko
(1) Olympic

I am running out of room, but hopefully can make it work!

2 Likes

Hi! It is possible that my asian pear is one Drippin Honey? I saw pics from another user and they are very similar, just like mine!

1 Like

Could be. Dripping honey does have fruit stem a little thicker near the end that attached the fruit and light colour

2 Likes

The flavour is very good! :yum:

1 Like

Should be very sweet

2 Likes

Yes, very very sweet and juicy! My God if they are dripping honey i’m a very lucky guy!
:grinning:

3 Likes

I’m planning on adding just Olympic. One tree is probably too much in a good year. What would I do with it all? I’d have to either donate most of it or sell it to an Asian grocery store. Are there many uses for the Asian pears besides eating fresh?

1 Like

I guess it depends how many other trees you have ripening at that time and how big your family is. Olympic doesn’t ripen until October, if you don’t have a lot of other things to eat at that time you could add Hosui which ripens end of August/early September. They should also store for a few months.

We have a small honor system farm stand, so if we have any extra of anything we can normally sell it. That’s why I plant more than normal.

1 Like

My wife’s Asian and always assumed the Asian pears were just better, but when I bought some Comice from the grocery store and used that to introduce her to European pears she converted to a Euro pear lover. I understand personal preference plays a role, but I think apples are more versatile. They’re better for cooking, or at least that’s what I think.

Having a farm stand changes the game and you can plant whatever you want to be able to sample as the season progresses. Of course, a less ambitious guy like me could just graft a few branches onto a main tree.

1 Like

They are very good dried with a food dehydrator.

4 Likes

How does KG grow in hot southern California? I have a hard time believing it needs 1000 chill hours that some websites suggest.

2 Likes

11 Likes

I tasted more than ten varieties of Asian pear this year. Drippin honey is the best.
Yulu Fragrant pear tree bear a few fruits for the first time this year. Unfortunately they were on the top of small twigs. The wind blew them off before ripening. I picked from ground. Not very sweet yet. Hope I could get more next year.

6 Likes

Last year, as I reported in another post ,I dug wild callery rootstock and grafted shinko to them, planted them out .
All did great, several had a fruit or two on them this year, which I failed to remove.
While not real sweet they are pleasantly crisp and juicey.
What I did notice is that they are blemish free,look very marketable from my un sprayed orchard.
The photos from others of Asian pears also look blemish free.

So my question is ,( since I am new to growing Asian pears )
Is this typical ,in the east , to be able to grow blemish free Asian pears without spraying ?

5 Likes

@Hillbillyhort, I wish I could say yes but after 10 years of having KG, that answer is No. Insect pressure will build over time.

The thin skinned A pears like Shinseiki and 20th Century are easier to be damaged by bugs. Russeted skin in Shinko, Hosui, Kosui and KG are harder. The good news is damaged A pears can hang on the tree until ripen. You just have to cut around the damage areas and eat the rest.

Somehow OFM, PC can really damge all or almost all peaches on a tree. However, those insects (including catfacting insects) don’t cause total damage on pears. I am not sure why.

I only spray Surround on pears (not thoroughly like I do with peaches). I’ve seen several with bug damage. I just eat around it.

I think @clarkinks has one pic of his A pears that showed many were severely damaged by bugs (catfacing).

3 Likes