The best Asian Pears

I don’t know this variety, but on this site they have both listed so I guess it’s not a mistake.

https://www.zahradnictvoiveta.sk/nashi-hruska-azijska

1 Like

Oh that’s great! Thank you my friend! :+1:

1 Like

Harigi, Kochi – A Producer of Large and Delicious Niitaka Pears | Japan Fruits - Information on Fruit and Fruit Picking Activities in Japan (japan-harvest.jp)

(1) Niitaka Asian Pear Tree Fruits - Candy Sweet With Aromatic Flavor Of Caramel & Butterscotch WOW! - YouTube

Thanks!!! I will check it out.

1 Like

Great! :+1:

Only a total of 6 fruits on the Chojuro but for its 3rd summer, I’m not unhappy.
The flavour and texture is great and I’m happy that they are the type I used to buy many years ago haven’t been able to easily find. Very rummy.

7 Likes

@Viridian

That butterscotch flavor is very unique among Asian pears. Many people tell me Asian pears do not have complex flavors but they have not tried chojuro. A hint of rum i never detected however I suspect slightly riper it would indeed have a rum like flavor. My problem with chojuro is they get fireblight here. Its killed them over and over but I will keep trying… They are so good the few fruits I’ve had never lasted very long.

2 Likes

Chojuro has at some point got a bad rap, but I think it is actually pretty good. Mine has always been very juicy and flavorful. Some years has a little sand.

4 Likes

Have been harvesting Yoinashi and Chojuro for just a couple years now. In the past I’ve harvested in the first half of September as they were very juicy and crisp and also came off of the tree very easily. This year, although they were still releasing from the tree very easily in mid Sept. I let them go until Oct. 2nd… they all remained on the tree and the flavor was dramatically improved as well as the sweetness (slightly more sweet). Crunch remained consistent.

First post… have enjoyed reading through this thread

16 Likes

When you are in Zone 10, you don’t have a lot of choices. I have a Korean Giant but I don’t think I’ll get anything from it, I’m going to wait a few years before I remove it. I should have done my research before purchasing it.

2 Likes

I just got: :blush:

Shin Li
New Arirang
Nutiika

2 Likes

So here in Kansas prairie, I grafted Shinko and KG. What are some others that should do good in my climate, productive and disease resistant? I imagine my climate isnt that far off from @clarkinks and @tonyOmahaz5
What yall think? :smiley:

2 Likes

I have limited experience with Asian pears, but Yoinashi has been a very good mid-Sept. variety for me. Usually has a nice sweetness and butterscotch flavor. I am thinking of adding a graft of Shinsui, but it is mid-August variety, which is when I normally have a glut of peaches waiting for me.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to eventually getting some Yoinashi. I grafted a tree and branch because I like the description plus its supposed to pseudomonas resistant, and I’ve suspected they may be why my Hosui doesn’t like to set fruit.

I also added Yakumo, mainly because I think it blooms early, and my Seuri Li blooms before all of my other pears. Plus it ripens early and is supposed to be different from other Asian pears, but high quality.

4 Likes

Yakumo indeed a good flavored pear, and grow very large too. Yoinash is mild, very juicy, very tender and has very thin skin in my location.

6 Likes

@PaulinKansas6b kosui and drippin honey should be added to your list. @39thparallel has very good luck with others eg. Hosui
@tonyOmahaz5 grows many types.

2 Likes

And i just got:

Niitaka nashi pear
Tsu Li nashi pear
Ya Li nashi pear

4 Likes

I have a Tsu Li graft and Niitaka pear, neither of which have borne fruit. Anxious to hear about your results down the road. :grinning:

3 Likes

Me too… lets see how they will behave here. I’m anxious regarding the new arirang and shin li too…

1 Like

Biggest Korean giant this year

12 Likes