The best Asian Pears

Wait… Does. Drippin Honey require a pollinator? If so, it’s a no-go.

In that case, you have a choice between Hosui and Shinseiki.

1 Like

Hosui it is.

1 Like

Ouch. That hurts. Must be very hard to leave trees and plants you worked so hard to nurture. I hope the new owners appreciated them.

2 Likes

This thread is fairly extensive, and a lot of varieties discussed. I have looked, and not found any info on one I just put in the ground - Tawara. My main goal was to use it as a pollinator for my Summercrisp, but have not found any info on it as for taste, production, hardiness etc. It was recommended as a hardy AP for my zone (4b). Does anyone here have experience with it - any thoughts? Thanks!

1 Like

I have one. A later ripening large pear. It’s OK, but on it’s way out here. Not sure how hardy it is, but I would imagine no more than any other asian pear. I would graft better varieties to it.

1 Like

My Hosui pears this year have been sizable and so sweet. They’re one of my favorites for sure.

15 Likes

Gorgeous fruits, Andrew! I ordered a tree for the Spring… Very excited to have selected this variety in my lineup!

1 Like

I bought this variety from Raintree nursery. Is it any good?

2 Likes

Andrew,
Not only you got Hosui to a ripening stage, your Hosui were huge!! Congrats.

My Hosui, close to 50 of them, and 20th Century, close to 200 fruit got wiped out by squirrels and groundhogs during the day and raccoons and opossums during the night.

My fruit are all small. Korean Giant are still at about a golf ball size. Lack of water is a main contributing factor.

3 Likes

I think they are so large because the squirrels only left me with 20 left between 2 trees. They also wiped out about 100 Shinsui and Korean Giant, all my Chojuro and Harrow Sweet. This is a strange year. They normally don’t go after pears until they’re ripe. The squirrels started eating them all in June before they got one bite added to their diet. I lost a lot of pears and peaches to these terrible squirrels. There must not be very much natural foods around for them this summer. I helped the remainder subsist by reducing the population.

2 Likes

They were eating my peaches while they were small rock hard and green. Wiped out whole trees. They must be really bad off to do that.

They have gone after my Asian pears first. Have not touch Euro pears yet. They will after they are done with my Korean Giant. I set 4 traps days and nights and caught a few of them everyday.

They even nipped some persimmons. I’m glad I have astringent trees mixed in with the nonastringent ones. Otherwise the nonastringent ones probably would’ve gotten cleaned out. Seems they just need to take a bite out of the wrong persimmons to get a hint.

1 Like

I’m putting some of that cheap metal flashing on my trees over the winter. That will put an end to everybody climbing up.

2 Likes

Congrats. Good Hosui are outstanding fruit.

1 Like

I’m giving my Korean Giant away, I’m ordering Chojuro and Daisui. Li.I don’t think I have enough chill for KG. Plus the local Asian supermarket always sells them, while I don’t think they sell Chojuro and Daisui Li.
I’m bringing back this thread to ask if anybody has information about the chill hours for Daisui Li and Chojuro.

2 Likes

Our most recent picking is Asaju, the variety we bag midsummer to give the fruit its luminous, cream-colored skin. Crisp, juicy, and subtly sweet, Asaju is one of our oldest varieties and traditionally the first one we pick.
Here is a list of all our wonderful asian pear varieties, that we grow.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Very nice look looking pear! How does the taste, texture, etc. compare to let’s say a Hosui or Korean Giant?

1 Like

Thanks! Better to taste something once, than to hear about it 1001 times :wink:

2 Likes