The best Asian Pears

My Daisui Li had very red spring leaves. Do you recall what yours looked like earlier in the season?

In the spring, several newly leafed out pear leaves are quite red/redish so I can’t recall this one in particular.

Also, Andrew, I don’t remember what I wore to work yesterday, never mind what my pear leaves looked like several months ago :joy:

4 Likes

Agree. First crop this year on Raja–came in about mid-August here, close to the same time as Chojuro—and I thought it was excellent: very sweet and juice to spare. It’s a strong grower and healthy so far. No fire blight strikes that I can recall the past few years we’ve had it—and if there were any, they were minor ones. Anyway, it was my favorite this season. Large Koreans are getting ripe now, and they aren’t too shabby either! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good thing I read this thread, I think I’m holding off in buying Daisui Li. I’ll see how the rest of them do in my yard first.

1 Like

My Dasui li has red yong leaves too in the spring.
This is the picture from last year.

8 Likes

Tippy, I am not sure what cultivar you have. My Daisui li is yellow when ripe. But Shin li is greenish.
Compare there two cultivars, I prefer Shin li to Daisui li. Shin li is way bigger pear, very juicy, crispy. But the qualities still do not match what Korean Giant, dripping honey, or other asian pears have. Shin li is lack of flavor. I hope it improves in the future.
This is my Shin li thus year.

8 Likes

We’re in the same 7a MD zone as you (St. Mary’s) and was thinking of ordering a Shinko and KG for our small yard, but it sounds like Shinko won’t be that great in our zone. We’ll switch our order to a KG and Hosui instead. Thanks for the review.

1 Like

I just bought 3 KG from my local Korean Supermarket, the skin of this pear is very thick, not really my favorite, I don’t even want to finish it. I’m glad I gave the tree to my brother.

1 Like

Got my first asian pear, only because of this post:) ordered it from Lowes(50$ with shipping) 2 varities on one plant dripping honey and chojuro(i think). It comes from Gurneys but what is interesting is, the same tree from gurneys site costs more. But is cheaper when bought from lowes. Thank you all!

I noticed the same thing on the Home Depot website with other companies. And the shipping was free.

Yes the shipping was free, if total of 50. Went ahead and paid shipping (plant was around 45$) I dont have space for anymore, otherwise would have grabbed a Korean Giant.

Has anyone tried Juicy Jewel from the University of Minnesota? I think it was only released in 2020, so probably too soon yet. Anyways, I ordered a tree, so we’ll see.

7 Likes

@TreeGuy

Here is a list of the nurseries liscensed to sell juicy jewel should anyone need them Juicy Jewel® | Minnesota Hardy

Nurseries that are interested in obtaining a license to propagate and sell Juicy Jewel® trees should contact Adam Bolton (bolto121@umn.edu) in the U of M Office of Technology Commercialization.

The following nurseries are currently licensed to propagate and sell Juicy Jewel® trees:

1 Like

yep, I ordered mine from Cummins.

3 Likes

Its too early-ripening for me… I have removed all of my early asian pears as they are far too prone to rotting. Great for Minnesotans, not so great for me…

4 Likes

I ordered one from ACN for delivery this Spring.

3 Likes

This one really made me think of the Xinjiang Fragrant pears when I first saw pictures of the fruit. Some of them have that same red blush. I wonder how the flavor compares.

4 Likes

This thread has a lot of good information - so much that I am now totally confused :slight_smile:
I have space for 1 Asian pear tree (don’t have any other pear tree for pollination) in zone 9b (Mountain View - Bay Area in California). I would like one that is sweet, crispy, juicy, and not have thick skin. Which one should I plant? Or should I get one with 3-4 grafts - if so which one and from where? KG seems to be talked about but would not work for me as it needs a pollinator and I have space for only 1 tree. Another one 1 hear about is Hosui. Any suggestions?

1 Like

My vote is for 20th Century. This pear is a classic for a reason! And it matches your desired qualities perfectly. Shinseiki is another match, but I like 20th Century more. I do not like the thick skinned Asian pears like Chojuro even if they have the butterscotch taste. My vote is based on my taste buds and my yard in northeast Arkansas.

3 Likes

Get a 3x1 graft. But my 20th century is very productive, but I also start to graft other varieties in that tree too.

1 Like