The BEST potted patio fruit for LA

My brother has an apartment in LA with very limited patio space to grow 1 or 2 potted fruit trees. I am leaning towards suggesting a fig and a citrus, possibly an orange tree?

If you had ONLY ONE OR TWO trees in Los Angeles, what would you pick? We are talking low maintenance (low to no sprays needed) and easy to grow with fast productivity if cared for properly.

If I was making a suggestion I’d say whatever the best tasting fig they could find and maybe an orange tree? I know very little about citrus other than what marginally might grow in Pittsburgh. California is spoiled by options :wink:

Out of the box fruits or ideas welcome! But I’d say something that would be a staple food source would be preferred (i.e. you can eat an orange every day, few people eat a lemon daily).

1 Like

Get something you can’t buy at the grocery. Get a Fukushu kumquat tree and a fig tree. Both do very well in pots and are productive.

2 Likes

Easy, fast, eat on it every day. Given that criteria, the first thing I can think of is a cherry tomato and pickling cucumbers. I know you are both thinking fruit trees, but with limited space and apartment-living he might find it easier and just as rewarding to grow plants he can compost when he is done.

3 Likes

How about a Southern Highbush Blueberry,like Southmoon?

2 Likes

Brady (my brother’s name is also Brady!) are there any self fertile southern highbush blueberries?

1 Like

He should visit a farmer’s market a few times this summer/fall and try some of the more exotic stuff to see what you like. There has to be at least one in LA with a good selection.

That aside, figs & tomatoes are good choices. Homegrown tomatoes are just so much better than I can get at even the farmer’s markets. Figs are really easy to grow and fairly productive at a small size.

If he can pick the right suppliers there should be some really good fruit to buy in LA & surroundings.

2 Likes

Guava, citrus, and fig are best known for fruiting well in pots.

2 Likes

That’s cool,I’m meeting and hearing of more people with the name,even a girl has it.
As a group,SHB are self fertile,although like most Blueberries,they will benefit,in fruit size and abundance,from different varieties to cross with.

1 Like

I’ve heard Pomegranates can work in pots and who doesn’t love that fruit. Wonderful poms are largely all grown in Cali and make up and about 80% of what you see in stores. Grow easily from seed and cuttings allegedly

2 Likes

I ended up ordering a Bala Miursal Pomegranate, a Violette De Bordeaux fig, and a blue lagoon rosemary for him. I think potted blueberries are in order if he can find them locally, and I will be sending some tomato seeds!

I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions.

2 Likes

Ahh that fig is on the wish list lol. Good choices. Your brother will be drinking the Kool aid soon enough

2 Likes

‘Bala Miursal’ is supposed to be one of the very best pomegranate cultivators for juicing, and would juice great with a citrus press. I have not tried that cultivator yet, so I can not give you a personal opinion on it yet, although most pomegranate cultivators should do great in Los Angeles county. As well as most fig cultivators should.

‘Bala Miursal’ Bala Miursal (pomegranate) / Bountiful post area / Bountiful Figs

2 Likes

@Jujube @alanmercieca I was fortunate to find both at Fruitwood. I know they will start tiny but for patio plants in ideal climate conditions they should grow quickly. He said it’s supposed to be in the 80s next week… :sob::upside_down_face: I’m happy for above freezing right now.

3 Likes

Good point and Haha me and you both!

1 Like