The "Blue Malibu" fig collection

Save it for my White Baca, maybe coming to an auction near you later this Spring. I’m working on 3 airlayers right now.

I was able to pry one off the hands of Lloyd Kreitzer in NM. Lloyd didn’t want to give it up that easily. Took a lot of arm twisting, grueling interviews and a good load of cash to make it happen. I’m very happy with it though… Best tasting fig I’ve got in my lineup. It literally tastes like a royal peach Bellini (peach nectar infused with champagne). And it’s early (75 days). A definite winner, which for some crazy reason was kept under tight wraps for such a long time. Very strange.

My review of the White Baca is posted here:

https://growingfruit.org/t/show-off-your-figs-and-this-year-harvest/23298/1229?u=marco

1 Like

Maybe I’ll buy some of this,before trying to obtain and grow what sounds like an expensive plant.

4 Likes

Gotta buy the champagne that must go with it! LOL

Probably could get a case and still cost less.

You’re probably right. But the case will eventually run out. White Bacas are forever. :wink:

But it’s not a Blue Malibu! :laughing:

1 Like

You’re right, Richard. I apologize. I was just reminding @fruitnut to save a bit of that cash for me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’ve been pursuing the world’s best figs for the last 7 years. Some turned out to be great figs. More turned out to be duds. The rare ones more so than others. For instance I paid 1000 for Luv a rare fig from a well known collection in Italy. It was “rare” because no one wanted to eat it.

11 Likes

I second you on that. Luv was one of Mario’s figs if I’m not mistaken. I got a cheap $10 Luv cutting from Khaled last year, which thankfully didn’t root. I heard the reports. LOL

I was absolutely mum on the White Baca until I actually had a few at the end of last July. Blew my mind. I took a big chance on it. I remember paying close to $300 just to have it shipped overnight. I wasn’t taking any additional risk. The story and media coverage of this fig really sucked me in. I didn’t want it to be lost and dumped into obscurity if Lloyd one day is no longer here. There was someone else in NM who was able to acquire it, but he fell off the face of the Earth.

I often don’t go for “rare varieties,” because most of the times it’s all hype, smoke and mirrors. This one on the other hand, I know in my heart will be a top favorite amongst fig growers. I just don’t understand why Lloyd kept it so close to his chest and wouldn’t had wanted more people to have this amazing variety. It’s mind boggling.

I probably will not be as good as you would be to cash in on it, but I will probably release the first few young trees in a few months. Any advice will be appreciated! We can take this conversation private. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bellini’s are made with white peaches.

2 Likes

Okay,there we go.

I’m curious what other figs you grow and consider top tier?
It’s probably not fair of me, but I’m calibrated for zone 9b growing and am a bit skeptical of high praise for figs from zone 6. I’m happy to be wrong, it’s a familiar feeling, lol.

3 Likes

Please see the thread “Keepers” figs. In the present thread I’m desperately trying to find out if there are further offerings from Blue Malibu (Doug).

1 Like

@AaronN I totally get you. It wouldn’t be fair to compare caprified Californian figs vs uncaprified Northeastern US grown figs. I grew up in Italy and caprified figs was all I knew. But let’s say, uncaprified vs uncaprified, Lloyd Kreitzer, Amado Summers (both from NM) and myself (in Boston) can attest that the White Baca is one heck of a scrumptiously delicious fig.

The current list of figs I grow is the following:

• Black Celeste
• Black Manzanita
• Celeste
• Cessac
• Coll de Dame Blanc
• Colonel Littman’s Black Cross
• Crozes
• De Tres Esplets
• Dr Gowaty
• Exquisito
• Figo Moro da Caneva
• Figoin (Bass)
• Florea
• Gino’s Black
• Improved Celeste
• Italian 258
• La Costa Jewel
• LSU Tiger
• Malta Black
• Mercedes Gem
• Red Lebanese BV
• Ronde de Bordeaux
• San Biagio
• Sao Miguel Roxo
• Smith
• Socorro Black
• UCR-271 Saleeb Caprifig
• Unk Green Greek
• Verdolino
• White Baca
• Zaffiro

But my family is always asking if “any Bacas are ripe.” The #1 most requested fig by a landslide at my household.

3 Likes

California is a large state and the wasp is not present everywhere, nor on a regular basis in some municipalities. I detect them here about once every 3 years. There is also a very active feral caprifig removal program in the state.

1 Like

Geez Louise Marco, that list hardly has any Blue Malibu varieties. Sorry @Richard! I’ll keep it out of the thread :+1:
Thanks Marco!

1 Like

I know… I totally hijacked @Richard 's topic. So sorry. :frowning:

I get carried away about certain things… I will keep quiet now.

1 Like

@Ahmad pick a couple low chill ones and I’ll join the bonfire :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any plans on sharing this database in the future?

It will appear on this site bit-by-bit, accessible by publicly-shared Google sheets like the one in the 1st post of this thread.

2 Likes